    My gut feeling is to NOt get built in speakers and use external
    speakers..... just to reduce murphys law a bit

    Also....any advice on a good "value" in 17 LCD displays?

    me6, Jun 4, 2004

  2. me6

    John Guest

    Speakers are not a complex piece of technology, though.
    And while they can seriously affect any CRT, the magnetic flux doesn't
    mean much in LCD tech.
    However, most LCD speakers are very tinny and usually not loud.
    I haven't seen any really bad ones.
    Very expensive ones can be very impressive, but the rest all seem to be
    okay. Can't comment on lifetime, of course.
    One feature that I just don't understand -- the horizontal angle of
    view. Lots of makers seem to think we need to see the screen view from
    the side. I'm always in front of the screen.

    John, Jun 4, 2004

  3. me6

    PC Guest

    Built in speakers = less clutter, BUT only suitable for squeaks, boings and
    other 'noises'. Music! forget it.

    Reviews of several LCD displays in this months NZ PC World

    Cheers
    PC

    PC, Jun 4, 2004
  4. me6

    Stickems Guest

    The built in speakers are useless for music.

    Stickems, Jun 4, 2004
  5. I have a GNR F173 Flat panel display and its very good for the money (UK
    Money). It came with inbuilt speakers and to be honest they would have
    been better off using the space for something else. They are rubbish. A
    speaker needs room to breathe and sticking them in an already confined
    space does them no favours at all. In fact its a waste of a sound card to
    rely on them alone.

    Proffesor Brian Oblivion, Jun 4, 2004
  6. me6

    me6 Guest

    One feature that I just don't understand -- the horizontal angle of
    Yep.... I actually do NOT want something that has good angle of view.
    I want something that you have to be setting in front of....as this
    gives me a bit more privacy

    me6, Jun 4, 2004
  7. me6

    dave101 Guest

    i have a 17 inch GNR F173, i bought it about 8 months ago for £180.
    the same monitor (more popular make) still costs £300 for EXACTLY the
    same thing.

    mine doesnt have any in built speakers which is good really, cos its
    neater and i can use more powerful speakers.

    i got it from PC world, they have good stuff in the big showrooms, but
    there little shops are full of rubbish!

    dave101, Jun 29, 2004