    Win7 home premium (not too familar with w7 - windows not reporting any network issues).

    - I'd have sub'd a gash lan card but only pci (express?) with short height end panels and two tiny edge (what are these called?)
    connectors in there.

    Will, May 4, 2011

  2. Will

    Chris Davies Guest

    What does the manual for the router (or google/bing/etc.) say about a
    fast flashing link light?

    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 4, 2011

  3. Will

    Will Guest

    Nothing at all (connexent/etec). Also they say this is not a 'function' so must be the PC/LAN card.
    A little extra proving shows the link does this at all times when the PC is on unless disabled in bios (fair enough) - even when
    HP prooved to be quite usless - unless I'd like to buy a replacement (don't think so, I firmly believe a PC should last much
    longer than 18mths).
    Time for a new short pcie card ...

    Will, May 7, 2011
  4. Will

    Chris Davies Guest

    I asked:

    Will replies:
    Have you got Network Boot enabled (PXE) enabled in the BIOS by accident,
    or is there something else loading at boot time that is trying to talk
    to the network?

    If you jump in to the BIOS boot menu (not the set-up menu), then while
    you're in that boot menu do you still get the network link flashing?

    In your original posting you suggested that although the PC did
    successfully get a DHCP address you suspected the network wasn't working
    properly. What leads you to that conclusion?

    Regards
    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 10, 2011
  5. Will

    Will Guest

    Have you got Network Boot enabled (PXE) enabled in the BIOS by accident,
    - I'll have to check, didn't notice anything untoward in bios setup when looked
    - only b/band router/switch combined, her (faulty) machine and sometimes another machine similar type, but this was off when
    tested.
    -again, I'll have to verify.
    -I was going to boot in safe mode to eliminate any win7 nasties when noticed that even on the bios menu the link flashed.
    -It didn't when the on-board lan was disabled in bios.
    -it got one, renewed one or remembered a valid address when checked on ipconfig
    -suspect all not well because a)internet slow/intermittent and she has trouble sending/receiving email and b)that flashing link
    led is not right, it is either a 'feature' never seen before or something on the system but does it before the OS has loaded or a
    poorly lan chip (on-board).

    Will, May 10, 2011