    As a side discussion. What is the differences between the formats that
    would hamper the burn speed of -R discs? If they go to the trouble of
    making a 8X +R writer that can write -R discs then why -R at 4X?

    cowboyz, Sep 23, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    A Guest

    I recall reading something similar with some of the Liteon drives that
    burn +R at 8x but -R at 4x. It's a hardware limitation - something to
    do with 8x -R needing extra optical sensors or not having a flux
    capacitor.

    It was on the cdfreaks forum but I'm not sure where now (the Liteon's
    probably get the most firmware mods of any drive and have dozens of
    threads discussing them).

    A, Sep 24, 2004