    the camera overrides the manual color balance.

    Is this flash override also found in compact cameras by other major brands
    like Canon, Nikon, etc?

    Nitro, Apr 3, 2010

  2. Nitro

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In have a Casio Exilim compact camera.
    :
    : I sometimes set the color balance manually. When I use the inbuilt flash
    : the camera overrides the manual color balance.
    :
    : Is this flash override also found in compact cameras by other major brands
    : like Canon, Nikon, etc?

    My guess is that you're using a general flash setting that includes a preset
    value for the white balance (and probably also the shutter speed). Check the
    instruction manual; there may be another way to turn on the flash that doesn't
    have the side effects.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 3, 2010

  3. Nitro

    Vance Guest

    Like Bob said, there may be a way of overriding the auto setting of
    the WB to something other than the default 5500K of the flash, but it
    won't be with any of the preset modes. It might be possible if the
    camera has the capacity for manual settings.

    As a design decision in a P&S it makes sense to automatically set the
    white balance for flash when the flash is used because the assumption
    (reasonably) is that the flash is lighting the subject and you want
    the colors of the subject to be 'true' to life. Under average
    circumstances, taking the average picture, it's a good built in
    decision for the average picture taker.

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 3, 2010