    in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
    sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

    Tim

    Destin_FL, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Destin_FL

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:

    > OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
    > external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
    > powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
    > in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
    > sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.
    >
    > Tim

    It could be an incompatibility between the flash and the camera.
    Unfortunately there is no way of knowing unless you mention the model
    of the camera and flash unit.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Destin_FL

    Mark B. Guest

    "Destin_FL" <> wrote in message
    > OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
    > external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much

    more
    > powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little

    built
    > in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external

    flash
    > sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.
    >
    > Tim

    Which camera & which flash?

    Mark B., Jul 19, 2004
  4. "Destin_FL" <> writes:

    > OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
    > external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
    > powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
    > in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
    > sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

    I dunno, you might be not using the flash correctly, or you might have bought
    an inferior flash. For straight shooting (no bounce), I have photographed
    people 30-50 feet away with my two flashes (both a $35 auto flash which was
    pretty much at its limit when the camera was at ISO 400, and my $200 TTL flash
    with the camera at ISO 100). Note if you are bouncing the flash, you will get
    a lot less range than if you shoot direct, since a lot of the light does not
    illuminate the subject.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: