    seen at the store for Flash/Jump drives, is that they work on 98SE and
    later. I'm running the old 98, not SE, so am I doomed to give up on
    this?

    theortician, Jan 25, 2005

  2. theortician

    Ghostrider Guest

    It is always possible to copy the files from one hard
    drive to another. Install the old hard drive into the
    new computer as a slave drive. Copy the files over to
    the new computer's hard drive. This method is probably
    better than trying to first do an upgrade to Win98SE.

    Ghostrider, Jan 25, 2005

  3. theortician

    edard Guest

    My Lexar JumpDrive came with a small program that allowed it to work in
    Win98.
    HTH

    edard, Jan 25, 2005
  4. wrote in
    I have Win 98 1st edition. I have applied all the Win98 upgrades from
    Microsoft and I have had no problems loading Thumb drive drivers that
    claim to be for minimum Win98SE. So far as I can tell, the only
    difference between my machine and a Win98SE machine is that SE includes
    ICS and FE doesn't.

    As for transferring files... My preference would be to network the two
    computers together and drag and drop the files from one to the other.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jan 26, 2005
  5. theortician

    theortician Guest

    Great! I have all the critical updates, so maybe it will work. By the
    way, is there a simple way to "network" the two computers together
    (USB?) without expensive devices? Also, will there be any conflict
    between my original 98, and transferring files to XP on the new one?
    Thanks

    theortician, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Assuming they both have ethernet (if they don't, it's a dirt cheap
    upgrade) you can use a crossover cable.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 27, 2005
  7. wrote in
    "Simple" is relative...

    Assuming both computers have a Network Interface Card (NIC), you can
    connect the two NICs together using a special "crossed" RJ-45 ethernet
    cable ($5-$10). You must then manually set up the IP addresses on both
    computers using the Network Control Panel with two addresses on the
    same subnet (say, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2). Both machines must
    have Microsoft File and Printer sharing (Microsoft Networking)
    installed and set to the same workgroup name. The disk drive must be
    opened for sharing by right-clicking on the drive and selecting the
    "sharing" menuitem. A common login name and password on both machines
    may also be necessary depending on whether you are pushing or pulling
    the data.

    .... Once it's all configured, it works like a charm.

    BTW, I think you can connect using USB, but you will need an adapter
    ($50) like the one at <http://www.lpt.com/>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Don't forget that it's a *bad* idea to share drive C! Other drives
    may be safely shared but you should only share user folders on the C
    drive.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 27, 2005
  9. Which 'comes' with Norton Ghost.

    Or get one here for five bucks.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=200

    Or get an ethernet adaptor for the five bucks, never have to worry
    about a USB installation going wrong and have less clutter and tangle
    from the same page.

    Governor Swill, Jan 27, 2005
  10. theortician

    theortician Guest

    Thanks to all. The only files I'm actually interested in saving are
    programs I've kept as a download (firewall, anti-virus, etc) so that I
    wouldn't have to download them all over again (I'm on a slow dial-up).
    If worse comes to worse, there's no problem in taking the time to do it
    all again. In fact, I'm not even sure which new computer we want yet!
    Thanks to all!

    -Stephen

    theortician, Jan 27, 2005
  11. theortician

    theortician Guest

    Just wanted to update everyone on this situation, regarding whether I
    can use a jump drive on USB Windows 98 (first edition).

    I purchased a Lexar jump drive, and after installing the drivers, it
    worked. No big deal, except I am amazed at how many different opinions
    I've encountered from people. Not just on these forums, but from techs,
    chats, and even people who sell computers. I had heard the entire
    spectrum, ranging from those who told me that there was no way I could
    get a jump drive to work on first edition 98, to yes you can (even one
    who said he got one to work on 95).
    Whether the are variables here that caused such diverse opinions (i.e.
    possibly updates from Microsoft Windows Updates gave that possibility),
    I don't know. For a technology that is so advanced, there seems to be
    quite a difficulty in findingise answers. That's fine, and makes it
    interesting.

    Thanks to all out there. So, for anyone who has old 98, YES you can use
    a flash/jump drive. Now, with my new computer coming (it's on the truck
    in transit being shipped), I've got lots of files on jump drive to
    transfer!

    theortician, Feb 21, 2005
  12. theortician

    m.philips Guest