Fix for when XP won't recognize your camera and auto xfer files to your computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Mcdonald, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. This is from a message posted on a microsoft public xp newsgroup:
    I tried the registry fix first, and it was successful per a screen
    message but I still had my problem.

    I d/l'd the fix from the tiny url and saved it to my desktop. I
    plugged my e10 into the usb port and turned it on in file xfer mode.
    The scanner and camera wizard did not comeup just an explorer window
    with a file"dcim".The same as before. I closed out that window and
    leaving the camera on, I clicked on the file execute from Tiny.

    It walked me through step by step and when done after the reboot, I
    hooked my camera backup and voila, I now have a working scanner wizard
    to xfer my files again!

    Evidently this is a big problem judging by the p-osts to the microsoft
    newsgroups and it has to do with autoplay not working.

    Thanks to all who responded to plea for help in an earlier post.

    Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree.
    Olympus E-10, Olympus IS-3 DLX.
    Vivitar V3800N.
    Amateur.

    Bill Mcdonald, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Bill Mcdonald

    Mark M Guest

    Evidently this is a big problem judging by the p-osts to the microsoft
    Or...skip those zillions of headaches, and buy a $15 card reader.
    Bang!
    Problem solved.

    Mark M, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Bill Mcdonald

    Cambium Guest

    Do you know if this will work for the Olympus C-2100 UZ?

    Cambium, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Bill Mcdonald

    Paul L Guest

    Card reader works great, taking card in/out all the time broke the door.
    Better to fix the pc

    Paul L, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Bill Mcdonald

    Mark M Guest

    What camera was it?

    Mark M, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Bill Mcdonald

    Ron Hunter Guest

    No. Careless user broke door. Most of the doors I have seen on P&S
    cameras are rather flimsy. I guess they expect users to do all
    transfers via docks or USB.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 26, 2003
  7. In my previous post I didn't lay out all the facts.

    My external cd-rw drive on my laptop quit doing autoplay, I had to
    install programs with the builtin drive.

    My card reader quit , in other words the XP scanner and camera wizard
    didn't work anymore.

    My E10 also quit, all of the above devices were connected via usb.

    I really love using the XP wizard to xfer these picture files to the
    laptop. After that I can use other programs to print or cleanup the
    images. To me, hands down the XP wizard was the best and the easiest
    to use. So this was a major problem to me, and judging by all the
    posts at the microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos newsgroup, to others as
    well.

    This problem has to do with XP autoplay function and you can see my
    beginning post for the patch, that worked for me at least.

    For others out there who have experienced this, it is not something
    that plugging in a 15$ card reader will solve.

    Good luck and thanks for all the previous replies on this thread.

    Bill Mcdonald, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Bill Mcdonald

    Paul L Guest

    Minolta S304