    of use on the camera itself).

    Thanks for any recommendations!!

    Michael

    Temprock, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Temprock

    m Ransley Guest

    A Consumer Reports rated Best Buy is the sony DVR TRV480 a digital 8. I
    have one. But stills are only 1/3rd mp, at that price range there is not
    much in stills. For video it is good and offers alot, but dont but it
    for stills. Your price range is your limiting factor

    m Ransley, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Temprock

    Temprock Guest

    Thanks for your feedback. What price gets me decent stills too???

    Temprock, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Temprock

    grruffbowwow Guest

    So far, no amount of money. Video CCD's are fundamentally different
    from still-image CCD's - they do very different things, if you think
    about it. I heard of a Samsung camera that had two separate sensors,
    one for video and one for stills - it still produced sub-standard
    output, according to reviews. It was called the Samsung DouCam SCD-5000
    - and was in the $600-1000 range, IIRC.

    For U.S.$200-250 you could get a basic JVC, Sharp or Panasonic miniDV
    camcorder, and then spend $175-200 to get a basic 3-4 Mpixel
    point-n-shoot; you'd not be a lot more out of pocket and you'd get far
    superior videos and pictures. A single device that "does it all"
    inevitably includes compromises.

    If you absolutely must carry only one device, then the Canon S2-IS has
    gotten good overall reviews - it'll take really good still pics, and
    apparently reasonable videos for a still camera. At high resolution (a
    bit less than DVD quality) video takes up about 1 GB of memory per 8
    minutes - not ideal, especially with cards running about $55 per GB
    right now. Any serious filming will require bigger cards - likely
    several of them.

    I get 1-hour miniDV tapes for about $4 each - cheap enough that I just
    leave the footage on them for storage. I put my Sony TRV-22 camcorder
    and my Olympus C-5060 still camera, spare batteries, tapes and cards,
    all in a camera bag smaller than a kid's lunchbox - it fits easily in a
    day pack with a lunch, a rain jacket and a sweater. Perfect for day
    outings with the kids, or trips up the mountains.

    Good Luck.

    grruffbowwow, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Temprock

    m Ransley Guest

    The Sony Tvr 480 is 640x480= 307000 mp= 490 lines resolution = Dvd
    quality. Dig cameras are 5mp average now. I dont know what you refer to
    as a decent photo. They fair-decent but it is low resolution and not as
    good as a dedicated camera, maybe none or a few are good to very good
    and the lenses are not as optimal-good as cameras. I have a 480 and W5
    both use memory stick, but now Sony is screwing everyone by going top
    Duo, Memory stick wont fit in Duo. If I started over it would be Canon
    and SD card. Canon video units are very good and offer 720i vs 490-510
    for Sony, Canon is worth a look at even if more money, You get what you
    pay for.

    m Ransley, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Temprock

    Bill Funk Guest

    Shouldn't that be .307MP?
    307200 pixels, actually.
    And isn't DVD quality closer to 720x480?

    Bill Funk, Mar 6, 2006
  7. Temprock

    Temprock Guest

    Not sure Boards encourage thank you postings, but thank you all!!! I
    did not realize that what I was seeking with my budget was easier
    thought of than done!!

    Thanks again.

    Temprock, Mar 6, 2006