First P&S that may "may" not be a piece of crap?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Jul 23, 2008

  2. Rich

    /dev/null/ Guest

    1/1.63-inch CCD is still a small sensor!

    /dev/null/, Jul 23, 2008

  3. Rich

    2SQUID Guest

    Panasonic don't have the sensor technology to make a decent 4/3 sensor.
    How are they going to get it right with a FF one?

    2SQUID, Jul 23, 2008
  4. Rich

    Matt Ion Guest

    Put a 0.3mm focal length on it, and you don't need a viewfinder - just
    point it in the general direction of your subject, and crop it later :D

    Matt Ion, Jul 23, 2008
  5. Rich

    Paul Furman Guest

    Scroll down for the optional rangefinder attachment.

    Paul Furman, Jul 23, 2008
  6. Rich

    John Sheehy Guest

    Now your sensor is *really* small.

    John Sheehy, Jul 23, 2008
  7. What am I missin'? That looks like 1/1.63".

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 23, 2008
  8. Rich

    Don Wiss Guest

    Well, it appears to be the first since the Nikon 8400 to have a 24 mm
    equivalent wide angle. This camera, after it comes out, could very easily
    depress the high used prices that the Nikon 8400 gets (due to its
    desirability among real estate appraisers and the like).

    Don Wiss, Jul 23, 2008
  9. Rich

    Jufi Guest

    A 1/1.63" sensor is now considered FF? Huh?

    Jufi, Jul 23, 2008
  10. Rich

    Jufi Guest

    No telephoto? Forget it. Also, I love Panny's consistency; bragging about
    their new low-noise LX3 and then producing the FZ28, with 10.1MP on a
    1/2.33" sensor? Right...

    I'll wait for the results, but a sensor that small with that many pixels
    doesn't look good.

    Jufi, Jul 23, 2008
  11. Shawn Hirn wrote:
    []
    []

    Shawn,

    It has an optical viewfinder, but it is an add-on purchase. It has quite
    large sensor for a compact zoom camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 23, 2008
  12. Rich

    ransley Guest

    They have been making P&S that are not crap for years, it the
    photographer that matters.

    ransley, Jul 23, 2008
  13. Rich

    Irwell Guest

    Is the add-on viewfinder coupled to the camera's electronics?

    Irwell, Jul 23, 2008
  14. Rich

    ray Guest

    IMHO - this post is B.S. I have a Kodak P850 - a P&S with long zoom which
    I do not consider "a piece of crap". I do quite well with it thank you.

    ray, Jul 23, 2008
  15. Rich

    ransley Guest

    And knowing Panasonics noise leading slow as molases sensors I would
    not wait in line for this one. But this guy just doesnt know how to
    use a camera to get its full potential.

    ransley, Jul 24, 2008
  16. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Their cameras (like Sony's DSLRs) have always lead the pack when it
    comes to resolution, and not megapixel count, real resolution.

    Rich, Jul 24, 2008
  17. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Superzooms are in their own class, and that class is LOW!

    Pixel counts can't be helped, it's lots or die on the marketing vine.

    Rich, Jul 24, 2008
  18. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Probably not. Nor does it have a built-in MP3 player and phone...

    Rich, Jul 24, 2008
  19. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Noise leading because they don't heap on the NR at 100 ISO like nearly
    every other camera that doesn't do raw, I frigging HATE that in P&Ss,
    it renders their images completely useless.

    Rich, Jul 24, 2008
  20. Rich

    ransley Guest

    I dont know what camera you use, it must be some 35$ toy, my 2 old 5
    and 7 mp sonys dont have that issue, Panasonic is known for excessive
    noise and NR with all but Iso 100 being their only usable settings,
    and if I remember dpreviews Panasonic reviews at Iso 100 their NR was
    visable. Still if you cant get a good photo its you not understanding
    a cameras optimal settings.

    ransley, Jul 24, 2008