First Foray into Trixbox

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Telephoneman, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an
    Asterisk box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd
    like to bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his PC
    he sold me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for £50! Now I
    had no excuse!

    Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
    little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
    just to burn the ISO disk.

    Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from the
    browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all the
    passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the software.
    In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me
    it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.

    My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    following instructions.

    Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
    Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help
    would be appreciated.

    If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
    problems there.

    TIA

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Telephoneman

    Graham. Guest

    $...

    Have you issued the command 'netconfig' and given the box a static address
    and made sure the gateway address is pointing to your router?

    Graham., Aug 1, 2006

  3. Telephoneman

    Jono Guest

    Telephoneman has brought this to us :
    The hour doesn't iclude downloading the ISO & burning it.
    Can you ping it from your windows box?

    I'm still on asterisk@home, though have tinkered with the vmware image
    of Trixbox - the update script worked fine, so double check what you're
    doing.

    Mainly ports 5060 & 10001-20000, however IAX requires 4569 (IIRC)
    Follow the nerdvittles site. also the forums at voxilla.com are very
    useful. It would be woeth hanging around in the forums at trixbox.org.
    There are quite a few users here, too.

    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Telephoneman

    Jono Guest

    Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from
    the browser of one of the other PCs on the network

    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Telephoneman

    Graham. Guest

    Yes from *inside* his LAN. But it seems to me that the box isn't seeing the
    internet so I would set the gateway address manually rather than use DHCP

    Graham., Aug 1, 2006
  6. Telephoneman

    paul123 Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    [snipped]
    don't know if it's relevant, but that I checked back on my Trixbox and
    I had "trixbox-update.sh" with a lower case for the "T"
    I have a 716g too. On the 716g admin pages:
    I have a dyndns.org setup too.
    in advanced-virtual server-dmz host: check IP address of DMZ host:
    192.168.1.62 (my lan ip for the trixbox)
    in advanced-virtual server-Dynamic dns: put your.dyndns.org details
    in in advanced-virtual server-static DNS: put your dns.dyndns.org
    mapped to 192.168.1.62 (in my case)

    As a note aside, I'd say I DID have this setup without the DMZ and it
    was working fine. I only added that when one of my trunks wouldn't work
    properly though can't remember which one - I have quite a lot.

    There are a few other 'tweaks' I've made, but I'm not sure they affect
    the end result.

    paul123, Aug 1, 2006
  7. Telephoneman

    linker3000 Guest

    If the setup's anything like Asterisk@home (I haven't tried Trixbox yet)
    then on occasions I have found that the underlying Centos setup doesn't
    'do' the network config correctly so running netconfig (or even just
    setup) is a good idea - a 'classic' is no proper resolv.conf entries.

    Note to OP - can you ping something - say news.bbc.co.uk??

    linker3000, Aug 1, 2006
  8. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    Thanks Guys, I'll have a look at all theses points in the morning.
    Thanks Guys, I'll have a look at all theses points in the morning.

    don't know if it's relevant, but that I checked back on my Trixbox and
    Yes, it was just a typo in the post.

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Aug 1, 2006
  9. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    OK, I've entered all the port forwarding info etc as suggested. I've set up
    the Static IP and run netconfig.

    When I try to update "trixbox-update.sh update" it asks me to check my
    network, however if I enter "ping upgrade.trixbox.org" it pings away quite
    happily (incidentally, the first time I did this I didn't know how to stop
    it pinging, LOL).

    On another matter (let me know if I'm trying your patience) How do I load
    FreePBX? The Nerdvittles info tells me that it will be on the main Trixbox
    page (accessed the the PC browser) but it's not under applications - I've
    only got SugarCRM. I have a copy of Freepbx 2.1.1 tar.gz on disk, how does
    it load?

    TIA

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Telephoneman

    paul123 Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    [snipped]
    Right to this point, but you need to access sytem administration. The
    Trixbox start page has a number of options in two groups - Asterisk and
    Applications. These options are:

    Voicemail & Recordings
    Web MeetMe Control
    Flash Operator Panel
    System Administration

    ApplicationsSurgar CRM

    Click on System Administration link in the Asterisk section and you'll
    be prompted for username and password. The username here is maint and
    the password is whatever you changed it to when you first installed.
    You then get a page with various options - FreePBX is usually the first
    option listed.
    You don't need to install FreePBX separately. It is installed along
    with asterisk in the main installation from the CD.

    paul123, Aug 2, 2006
  11. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    Thanks for that. I've got it now.

    This is one of several instances where the "Nerdvittles Newbies guide to
    Trixbox 1.1" doesn't match the reality. I might have half a chance with
    reliable documentation. Is there a better set-up guide that anyone knows?

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Aug 2, 2006
  12. Telephoneman

    Spex Guest