    I'll be brave and ask what camera she should buy. I would like to see her
    get at least a 10X optical zoom..........

    thanks

    gt, Oct 21, 2003

  2. That limits your choices drastically.
    But you might consider the Kodak Easyshare DX 6490.
    Pretty much Bang for the Buck.
    Also the Olympus C-750, 740,or 730 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1K
    Check http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp for more
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Oct 21, 2003

  3. gt

    Dubb Guest

    I'm thinking about buying the Minolta Dimage Z1, and that one has a 10X
    optical zoom. Maybe that one is right for your friend.

    I havn't seen much discussion about this camera here though. Anyone that has
    any thoughts about it?

    Dubb

    Dubb, Oct 21, 2003
  4. gt

    HavingFun Guest

    Hi,

    10x zoom requires a tripod. Are long-range tripod shots important to her?

    Here's your options. Olympus is the favored 10x zoom.

    Olympus C750 ($600)
    Kodak DX6490 ($500)
    Olympus C740 ($450)
    Toshiba M700 ($350)

    If she's not into long-range tripod shots, consider a simpler 3x zoom camera:

    Canon Powershot A80 ($400)
    Canon Powershot A70 ($300)
    Canon Powershot A300 ($200)

    Or post more about her photo experience and interests, and your price range.

    Good Luck,
    HavingFun

    HavingFun, Oct 22, 2003
  5. gt

    Stewy Guest

    I'd advise skipping the 10x zoom feature except if you buy the Panasonic,
    which has a 'steady' feature to avoid camera shake. The Olympus's will need
    a tripod at full zoom. Unfortunately the Panasonic is only 2 megapixels.
    I'd recommend the Fuji A303 as a first camera - it tends to come out top in
    camera ratings.

    Stewy, Oct 22, 2003
  6. gt

    gt Guest

    My Sony FD 97 has a 10X zoom with steady shot and I absolutely love the camera. Don't need to use a tripod as
    a result of it's having steady shot.

    But my friend wants a smaller camera. She wants it to be "point and shoot". Has two small boys and doesn't
    want to "tweak" as she shoots.

    Thanks for the ideas. I realize that for some reason Sony is looked down upon by lots of people. But
    personally I think it's a great camera, IF you have steady shot.

    later

    gt, Oct 22, 2003
  7. gt

    Art Spaziano Guest

    I have the use of my brother's Minolta Dimage Z1 for the weekend.
    I just got back from my daughter's softball game, and I can tell you
    that the 10x was really wonderful.
    Some people are saying that you need a tripod, but I certainly didn't
    have a problem without one.

    The camera has a full automatic mode which makes it truly point and
    shoot, so it's very easy to use.
    It's also light and small.

    I took a number of indoor pictures last night and was impressed with
    it's low light performance.
    My Casio camera doesn't have a view finder, so unless the subject is
    wearing light clothing, you are going to have a tough time finding
    them before pressing the shutter release (or whatever it's called on a
    digital camera!).
    The Z1 has both an LCD screen and a view finder. The view finder
    amplifies available light, so it's really easy to find your subject.

    The Z1 comes with a 16mb memory card, though.
    This is woefully inadequate, given the resolution that the camera is
    capable of.

    I started looking on Ebay for these cameras and there are a couple
    with come with a 128mb card (
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...b&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=
    ).

    I think this would be a wise option to start off with.

    I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

    Regards,

    Art Spaziano, Oct 26, 2003