    people on the bridge, on the trail at the top of the falls, or crowding
    around the viewing area at the bottom, and I managed to do that on
    Memorial Day Weekend.

    James Of Tucson, Jun 2, 2005

  2. James Of Tucson

    Don Wiss Guest

    Interesting. I've never stitched vertically. One thing of interest to those
    of us here is what software you used to stitch. Then I'd trim off the black
    that is around the picture. For lossless cropping I use jpegcrop. It is
    freeware. I recommend it.

    Don Wiss, Jun 2, 2005

  3. "Interesting. I've never stitched vertically."

    I knew I was going to do this before I even set off for the falls.
    Five minutes before, and ever after, the place was crawling with
    people.

    "One thing of interest to those
    of us here is what software you used to stitch."

    Photoshop Elements 2, photomerge, with some perspective correction.

    "Then I'd trim off the black
    that is around the picture."

    I worked hard to get that border there, and it's not black :) The
    reason it's there is to fit it properly for a 20x30 paper print (from a
    higher res jpeg). I didn't start with the raw images.

    James Of Tucson, Jun 2, 2005
  4. James Of Tucson

    Don Wiss Guest

    But we web viewers don't care about printing. We shouldn't have to scroll
    to the right to see the picture. Maybe a different version on the web from
    what you have for printing?

    Don Wiss, Jun 2, 2005
  5. "We shouldn't have to scroll
    to the right to see the picture."

    Sorry, I didn't see it was doing that.
    Replaced with a much reduced image, for web-friendliness.

    ttp://www.conservatory.com/photos/oregon2005/multnomah_reduced.jpg

    It honestly surprised me that anyone was interested enough to look at
    my photo. Thanks!

    James Of Tucson, Jun 2, 2005
  6. James Of Tucson

    Don Wiss Guest

    I put in the missing h in the above. The picture could be bigger. I don't
    mind the scrolling. Here are my panoramas:

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/panos/

    All horizontal. I once was at some tall waterfalls in Guadeloupe, but it
    never dawned on my to do one vertical. You have the same problem I have
    when trying to stitch ones of beaches. The waves between pictures don't
    line up. Some of mine need more work. Like mastering Enblend, which works
    with PTGui.
    I looked as I have a watch filter on subjects with stitching, panorama,
    etc. I certainly don't read most of the hundreds of articles posted here
    everyday!

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at album bottoms).

    Don Wiss, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Here are my panoramas: Some of those look really great. What kind of cameras are you using?
    Also, are you taking a "leave well enough alone" approach to
    retouching?

    James Of Tucson, Jun 2, 2005
  8. James Of Tucson

    Roe Thomas Guest

    Hello James; Glad to peruse your photo. Last couple times I've stoped
    there they had allowed the trees to grow so that you could NOT get that
    shot. Roe

    Roe Thomas, Jun 2, 2005
  9. James Of Tucson

    DHB Guest

    Don,
    now you did it, I feel like a lazy bum. You have some fine
    panos & after looking a several I realize just how lazy I have been
    for not even trying to do a single pano yet.

    Did notice a couple things I don't fully understand & am
    hoping you can clarify for me. I understand how changes in the
    brightness of the screen while taking the individual pictures can
    result in darkened areas appearing as steps across the picture but how
    do they also end up as diagonals between the frames?

    Sorry if it's a obvious question but the answer does not seem
    to present itself to me.

    Also I have not been much into photo editing until lately
    because I strive to do the least editing possible because it forces me
    to squeeze the most out of any camera/lens combination. However I now
    have & use Adobe PS Elements-3 & Neat Image noise reduction software &
    use them as needed sparingly. A new & powerful tool in PS-Elements 3
    is the healing tool which works wonders after you learn how to use it.
    It does wonders to removed skinned knees or acne on kids or age spots
    on older individuals.

    All that being said, I noticed a few of your panos had a
    repeating dark spot across the pano which I suspect was caused by
    something on the lens. In most cases, a single application of the
    healing tool over that spot will correct it completely. May be worth
    a try.

    Outstanding pictures & I especially like #86 & 98 of Curacao
    2005. Both have a human element in the lower corner which adds a lot
    to the view because the cameras view now looks & feels just like you
    to are there with them looking out at the vast beauty. Great work, I
    guess I will now have to try my hand at it but I will start small with
    just 2 or 3 pictures to stitch together.

    Thanks for sharing your work to inspire others to try it.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jun 2, 2005
  10. James Of Tucson

    Sheldon Guest

    Very cool. I don't think many people think about stitching vertically. Now
    as for nobody being in the photo, a naked girl swimming in the pool below
    would have been a nice touch. <BG>

    Did you try some slower shutter speeds on a tripod to see what kind of
    effect you might get?

    Sheldon, Jun 2, 2005
  11. a naked girl swimming in the pool below
    I don't have anything like the social skills or the kind of money that
    would be needed to persuade that situation, even if the water was not
    5°C. ...

    James Of Tucson, Jun 2, 2005
  12. James Of Tucson

    Don Wiss Guest

    Up until October 2004 it was a Nikon 950. After that it is a Nikon 8400.
    The 8400 does have a panorama mode that automatically sets exposure lock,
    and gives you a ghost image of the prior picture to help you line up the
    next. But before you rush out and get an 8400, beware of its lameness in
    low light, and its lack of image stabilization.
    I never edit my pictures. I losslessly rotate and losslessly crop. I should
    spend some time in blending the panoramas better. Someday I will get
    Enblend to work and go back and fix some.

    I never print my pictures. So I have been taking them in web resolution.
    Makes things easier. But I am planning to start taking them in 1280x960
    size. I don't know what this will do for my stitching. For my regular
    pictures I have figured out a way to reduce an entire album to web size in
    one step. Then when you click on the picture in the html page it will
    display the bigger one. Now if you click on a picture it shows you the same
    picture, just without the html around it.

    Back to yours. My suggestion is to make it about 784 pixels wide. Then it
    will fit on an 600x800 monitor. And for those of us with large monitors, we
    generally have our browsers in a window, and not full screen. I think the
    width of my browser window is about that size. Then people can scroll up
    and down. I really dislike having to scroll a picture in both dimensions.

    Don Wiss, Jun 3, 2005
  13. James Of Tucson

    Don Wiss Guest

    Beware of a real steep learning curve if you use PTGui. If you ask here
    what software people recommend, the most mentioned is Panorama Factory. I
    tried it on one. The horizon was wavy. I could find no way to set
    horizontal control points.

    There is a Yahoo group "PanoTools" that I sometimes ask questions in. Very
    technical bunch. Only ask about software at the PTGui level or higher.
    Not sure where you mean this. The stitches are not necessarily vertical.
    Some of the older pictures are because I did not bother to set exposure
    lock. Then on some of the newer ones the sun came out from behind the
    clouds briefly and changed a couple of the images.
    I do NO photo editing. I just lesslessly rotate and losslessly crop.
    Yes. I remember those spots. And there is the poor fellow that got
    duplicated. Maybe someday I'll get into photo editing. I've never used a
    healing tool. I still haven't found a red eye tool to use. And one album is
    waiting for that. (A big 950 problem, and even with an external flash if
    you forgot to turn off the internal one you got red eye.)
    You are welcome!

    Don Wiss, Jun 3, 2005
  14. I've taken a few panaramas with my Canon 10D. I use a solid tripod and
    spend a bit of time making sure that the head pans horizontally and that
    the camera is level. I've yet to use any "stitching" software; the
    software that I tried was not as good as my manual efforts:

    http://pixseal.com/newengland2004/washington.htm
    http://pixseal.com/tahoe2004/panarama.htm
    http://pixseal.com/conservatory2005/pan_3170-3174.htm
    http://pixseal.com/mounthamilton2005/pan_4571-4586.htm

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Jun 3, 2005
  15. James Of Tucson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I also have some nice shots of the falls, along with others along that
    road, but I never thought of stitching them.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005