    you try to download music or files ? Any advise or suggestions would be
    appreciated, thank you.

    Kirsten

    Kirsten Paton, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Kirsten Paton

    YK Guest

    Kirsten, firewalls do not interfere. Hope you are running a good
    up-to-date anti virus and and anti trojan application as there are many
    being distributed through music and file sharing apps.
    http://www.firewallguide.com/
    I use Kerio and it works great.

    YK, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Kirsten Paton

    Josephine Guest

    you can invest 200? and ask a geek to build you a firewall/router linux box.
    seems like the best way to keep you online safe (not quite the easiest way,
    but worths the effort). win firewalls are incredibly stupid and can be by
    passed quite easily, besides, you are never safe from a dos attack (denial
    of service: sort of sending you too much info/packets/whatever than your
    bandwidth supports). and the linux box will let you download everything u
    want and won't stop outgoing connections unless you want to. good luck

    Josephine

    Josephine, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Kirsten Paton

    Redwop G Guest

    well, kirsten, to start out with, the best defence is to first NOT TO ANNOY
    ANYONE to the extent that he/she will try to avenge this annoyance!

    R. Green

    Redwop G, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Kirsten Paton

    Robin T Cox Guest

    Hi Kirsten,

    Here's a link to help you answer your question:
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#hackers

    For sound, practical advice on how to make your system secure, visit
    Sponge's Anti-Spyware Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/

    If you want to avoid having your system hacked into or hijacked, then an
    effective firewall is a must. You can configure it to permit the downloads
    you need. But be very, very careful about what you download, because all
    too often people have been deceived into downloading harmful programs.

    Robin T Cox, Jul 5, 2003
  6. Kirsten Paton

    mto Guest

    Someone got into Yahoo and followed you around? More likely someone got
    into your computer and knows where you go before you get there :)

    mto, Jul 13, 2003