    I now use Avast as antivirus. I'm aware of connection securty.

    I really want my data well protect.

    Thank you

    Guest, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 11, 2006

  3. The only one I know of is TinyFirewall. Personally, I don't think it's any
    better than the actually quite good Windows Firewall.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Guest

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Ok, I have a question regarding firewalls now that we're on that topic. It
    is my understanding that if I am connecting to the Internet through a
    router, that I don't need to enable my software firewall in Windows. IOW,
    the router is providing a hardware firewall and the software based Windows
    firewall is redundant. Obviously, not hurting anything, but redundant and
    therefore additional overhead that's not required. Am I understanding this
    correctly?

    Larry Hodges, Jan 12, 2006
  5. No, you are not. First, what you do NOT want is to make your network like a
    raw egg -- crunchy on the outside, and yummy on the inside. Because then all
    they have to do is get past that first shell, and it's all over. Frankly,
    router firewalls, especially consumer level ones, are pretty simple and
    limited, and they've been gotten around before and will be again. You want
    to make it as hard as you can for any one trying to get on your network. And
    the Windows Firewall has additional features, such as application layer
    filtering, that no router firewall will give you. They pretty much all work
    on layer 3.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Andre Da Costa, Jan 12, 2006
  7. no, except in a Caeser salad. Or a good mayonaise. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Guest

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Thanks. I always wondered about that.

    Larry Hodges, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Guest

    Larry Hodges Guest

    There is no good mayonnaise! Use deli mustard. Only 5 kCal per serving.

    Larry Hodges, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    There is good mayonnaise!
    It's made in Argentina.
    Deep yellow. Yammy!
    Carlos

    Guest, Jan 12, 2006
  11. Guest

    Randy Guest

    Well put, Charlie. I'd have just said you've got theory and you've got real
    life, and need to take steps to prepare with both in mind. ;-) Hardware
    manufacturers want to sell their router/firewalls based on slick info
    pamphlets describing how they turn away all malware and hackers based on
    SPI, NAT, or whatever. But then you install it and find stuff still getting
    through, without really doing anything to explicitly enable it to. And so
    the software solutions are needed to bolster the protection level. Hardware
    firewalls *do* help, a LOT, and are usually simple to setup versus that of
    software solutions. But they're not 100% effective. At least not those sold
    at consumer levels that I've seen and used. To be so would just about
    require a lockdown situation.

    Randy, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 12, 2006
  13. Guest

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I do like mayo, but just not the type of fat it has and the amount of
    calories. I'm kind of a fitness buff (home ng is misc.fitness.weights), so
    I watch that stuff. Sure I miss some out on some stuff like mayo. But the
    benefit is I'm 5' 10", 194lbs and 11% body fat at 48 yrs old.

    Yours sounds like it has mustard in it. I'm curious. Post a link if you
    can.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Guest

    James Park Guest

    I would highly discourage that practice. From someone with first-hand
    experience, I can safely say that salmonella is not cool at all. It's true
    that the odds are low, but believe me, you don't want to be on the short end
    of that lottery.

    James Park, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 12, 2006
  16. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Larry:
    5' 8" and 209 lbs, 54 years, body mass indes = 30 down here.
    Used to weigh 230 lbs.
    Diet heavily based on vegetables now.
    Heavy effort in resisting to the temptation of argentinean meat (best in the
    world).
    Please take in account that mayo in the States has nothing to do with south
    american mayo.
    They are quite different.
    From a people culture point of view, ketchup is to the States like mayo is
    to Argentina.
    Same happens with beer and wine.
    Carlos

    Guest, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Nothing wrong with the type of fat - if you make your own! And who wouldn't,
    given that awful, bland, and uninteresting stuff you can buy in the
    supermarket. OTOH, it _is_ high in fat, and should be used with discretion.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 12, 2006
  18. I know the source of my eggs. ;)

    I can see the chickens. I know what (and where) they eat. I know the farmer.
    And they're fresh. Very fresh.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 13, 2006
  20. Guest

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I like fat in my diet too. I eat a lot of olive oil, peanut butter, nuts,
    etc. Lots of stir fries with olive oil.

    How do you make your own mayo? Got a recipe? :)

    Larry Hodges, Jan 13, 2006