Firewall screwed up XP network settings

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, May 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I recently uninstalled NIS 2005 and embarked on a quest for better AV and
    Firewall software. On the AV front I found NOD32 and stuck with it.
    With the firewall it was a bit more complicated - I tried Outpost Pro and I
    think that either it or the complete uninstall of NIS screwed up some of my
    network settings in XP. I have since uninstalled OP and have tried, with no
    luck, to solve these problems firewall-free.

    Here are the three problems I encountered:
    1. Windows Update would not download updates -I found it to be a problem
    with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service - only a repair install of
    XP solved that problem.

    2. Access to my Router User interface (through IE) has become quite slow,
    with pages taking their time to load. I haven't found a solution yet.

    3. I use a mail tagging program called MSGTAG – and since I uninstalled NIS
    / installed Outpost Firewall Pro I can't send any messages through it. I
    tried a few methods to resolve this issue and interestingly, when I connect
    directly to my DSL modem through a PPPoE connection - mail is sent through
    MSGTAG without a problem. On the other hand, when I send a message through
    MSGTAG from another computer on the network, connected to my router - it is
    sent as well...so the problem is not within the router. Even with no firewall
    installed - messages still aren't being sent.

    It seems as though the install / uninstall has resulted in some changes to
    my network settings or protocols. Nothing I checked "on the surface" seems to
    be wrong - all tcpip, dhcp settings look OK.

    Are there any hidden registry settings that I've missed?
    Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated...

    Much thanks in advance!

    Guest, May 24, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry - posted in the wrong Newsgroup...my appologies

    Guest, May 24, 2005