Firefox/RealPlayer/Linux/64-bits

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Marek Williams, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. One of my favorite radio stations streams their programming via Web
    (www.allclassical.org). Unfortunately, you can't listen to it on the
    web unless you have RealPlayer installed. (If I am wrong about this,
    please advise!)

    I have Firefox 1.07 on my 64-bit Ubuntu Breezy laptop. Everything
    works fine. In order to listen to this station I installed RealPlayer
    for Linux. The installation appeared to go fine, But if I click on the
    Listen button on www.allclassical.org it displays RealPlayer for a
    brief second, then RealPlayer disappears and so does Firefox. Luckily,
    Firefox continues to function perfectly as long as I don't click on a
    link to listen to streaming audio. However, in attempting to assist me
    with this a friend who also has 64-bit Ubuntu installed tried the same
    thing. After installing RealPlayer his Firefox will no longer even
    launch.

    I installed RealPlayer by downloading the file and following the
    instrictions. I would have installed it via Synaptic, but RealPlayer
    is not listed in Synaptic. (That should have given me a clue, right
    there.)

    I also tried other radio stations that stream via the web. In each
    case the same thing happened -- RealPlayer appeared briefly, then it
    and Firefox both disappeared.

    I'd sure like to be able to listen to these stations via the web. Any
    suggestions?

    Marek Williams, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Marek Williams

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Whereever firefox is installed to [mine is /usr/local/firefox as i
    installed it there [lol] make sure you have the proper plugin in the
    plugins directory... mozplugger is a good package for you to check out

    Jedi Fans, Dec 31, 2005

  3. 1) How do I find out where Firefox is installed?

    2) I don't think it's a plugin problem anyway. RealPlayer does pop up
    when I click on a link to listen to streaming audio. So Firefox does
    know how to call RealPlayer. It's just that RealPlayer immediately
    disappears. and takes Firefox with it.

    3) RealPlayer disappears the same way if I try to launch it alone,
    e.g., from the command line.

    4) Being new to Linux I'm not sure how to do this, but someone once
    told me of a way to get a log of what happens when you do something.
    Theoretically this log would elucidate what is going wrong. But I
    can't remember how to get the log.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    Marek Williams, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Marek Williams

    Jedi Fans Guest

    from command line:

    $ whereis firefox

    plugins are possibly in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/
    See Below
    Then this indicates that it is a realplayer problem... Where
    did you download from? ubuntu custom package? or from
    Nor me :( lol
    Most Welcome!
    Happy New Year, All the best for 2006 :D

    Jedi Fans, Jan 1, 2006
  6. OK, I finally got RealPlayer working. I created chroot on my Ubuntu-64
    Breezy computer and have it working by "dchroot -d realplay," which I
    have added to a menu item in the Gnome Applications panel.

    However, when I click on a link for streaming audio in a web page
    (e.g., http://www,allclasslical,org), I still get errors. That is,
    RealPlayer pops up for a brief instant, then disappears, and takes
    Firefox with it.

    So now it appears the problem is getting Firefox to call "dchroot -d
    realplay" instead of whatever it is currently calling.

    Anyone know how to do that?

    Marek Williams, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Marek Williams

    Jedi Fans Guest

    <http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/> edit /etc/mozpluggerrc for
    the realaudio entries

    Jedi Fans, Jan 7, 2006
  8. Sorry, but that link is for mozilla developers. There is no
    documentation there on mozplugger, nor have I found any documentation
    on it anyplace else.

    I did find /etc/mozpluggerrc and opened it in Gedit. However, I made
    no changes to it because it is Greek. I have no idea what any of the
    entries mean, how to change them, or what to add/delete. Even if I
    found documentation somewhere, I doubt I would understand it. It seems
    this file must be the place where some GUI configuration tool stores
    changes to mozplugger.

    In addition, when I do about:plugins, in addition to mozplugger, I
    find gxine, totem and vlc listed, each with a long list of file types.
    I think some of them overlap. I know I never added those items, so
    they must have been added by some default installation tool.

    Maybe my Forefox is so screwed up I should uninstall and go do a
    different browser.

    Marek Williams, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Marek Williams

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Actually that page is for us, see the documentation link?
    Simply remove the plugins that arent needed from the plugins
    is provided by SUSE with it's plugin directory in
    /usr/lib/firefox/plugins but my custom installation [from
    mozilla.com] I put in /usr/local/firefox/plugins so
    depending on the source....

    These are the symlinked files which are in my plugins directory:
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/nphelix.xpt
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/kaffeineplugin.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/libdragonegg.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/libnullplugin.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/mozplugger.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/nphelix.so
    file:///usr/local/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so

    nphelix is my realplayer plugin, the rest im sure you can
    find with a googley,

    I hope this helps

    JUst simply delete or move the plugins that are unneeded
    [mine appear to be symlinks] OR download the package from
    mozilla.com and move it to a directory of your choice and
    choose which plugins go where ;)

    Jedi Fans, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Marek Williams

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Download:

    Version 1.7.3 (August 30 2005): Source; RPM
    Version 1.7.1 (January 5 2005): Source; RPM

    MozPlugger is now included in Mandriva Linux, Fedora Linux,
    Debian, Gentoo, and other Linux distributions. Debian
    packages are available here.

    Jedi Fans, Jan 9, 2006
  11. Yes, a couple of the installed plugin (vlc, totem) have a link to
    documentation. I opened them both. Read them. Understood nothing.
    There is no link to documentation for mozplugger 1.7.1, although I
    googled and found it elsewhre. But I still have no idea what the
    documentation is talking about.

    Maybe the problem is that I am not a teenager. My idea of playing
    music is to put a "record" on the "stereo" and "play" it. See, I don't
    understand the documentation because the terminology is not part of my
    vocabulary. Maybe if people assumed they were talking to their
    great-grandfather I might get a glimmer of what to do. And no, I am
    not anywhere near that old -- I've just never paid attention to media
    issues on the computer because I'd rather use my "stereo." Only now I
    want to be able to listen to streaming radio stations on my laptop
    when I am away from my "stereo."
    As I said at the beginning, I an using Ubuntu-64 Breezy, not Suse.
    Mine is not a custom installation. Firefox was installed by default by
    the Ubuntu-64 installation DVD, and all I have done is click to
    upgrade it when the upgrade icon appears. It is currently version
    1.07. I don't know where it is installed. All I know is that when I
    click on Applications > Internet > Firefox Web Browser, it launches
    and it works. I guess I could do a search and find out where it is
    installed if I knew what the actual program file is.

    Also, the about:plugins page is not editable. It shows what is
    installed, but offers no way to add or delete from the list.
    I don't know what a symlinked file is.
    I've googled until Google has all but banned me for overuse. I have
    found nothing that I could comprehend.

    As for nphelix, I searched on "nphelix.*" and found 24 of them on my
    laptop, 12 each of nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt.

    Thanks for trying to help, but I need really basic instructions.

    Marek Williams, Jan 11, 2006