    why wouldn't everyone use this ?
    TIA ,
    D.

    D., Mar 2, 2009

  2. why should they? With fast computers now a days, its
    obsolete.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 2, 2009

  3. D.

    D. Guest

    your right Peter , i hadn't thought of
    that .
    obviously , mine has a few miles on it .
    thanks for the reply .
    D.

    D., Mar 2, 2009
  4. D.

    John Doe Guest

    Have a fast computer on which the pre-loader helps speed up Firefox

    John Doe, Mar 3, 2009
  5. D.

    fatsteve Guest

    I don't know what you guys do but I open Firefox once when I start the
    computer and never close it, with reboots far apart, usually 1 - 3
    weeks sometimes more. Besides that Firefox doesn't take that long to
    load, for me 10 - 15 seconds on my athlon 1.6ghz with only 512mb ram
    which I don't consider to be over the top. How long does it take for
    you guys? With and without the pre-loader?

    fatsteve, Mar 3, 2009
  6. I agree, only a few seconds to open. I guess some
    people must compare themselves with IE which is instant.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 3, 2009
  7. D.

    John Doe Guest

    Firefox loads in three or four seconds here without the pre-loader. I
    like the system tray icon too, so unless it is buggy I probably will
    keep it.

    CPU... two 3 GHz cores on an Intel DP35DP
    RAM... 4 GB
    HDD... 10,000 RPM
    video card... GeForce 7950GT 512 MB

    John Doe, Mar 3, 2009
  8. D.

    Rom Guest

    Firefox Preloader: <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/>

    1. An extra (old) third-party program.
    2. It uses memory itself and having Fx partly loaded.
    3. Problems updating while running.
    4. There's an alternative to Firefox Preloader.
    5. Not necessary with modern OSs and faster systems.

    From the author about Firefox Preloader, the alternative
    MinimizeToTray and how to replace Firefox Preloader with
    MinimizeToTray using a shortcut:

    <http://www.sixxgate.com/?p=35>
    <http://www.sixxgate.com/?p=37>

    Old MinimizeToTray for Fx2:
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2110>
    Updated MinimizeToTray (experimental) for Fx3:
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10488>

    About the -turbo command line option:
    <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Command_Line_Options#Startup>
    but works in Fx (3.0.6 that I tried) when using MinimizeToTray and the
    instructions for the shortcut in the Startup folder.

    Rom, Mar 3, 2009
  9. D.

    Rom Guest

    Fx is slower on the first starting after booting up, but subsequent
    starting Fx is faster.

    I had a slower/older system with similar specs to yours a few years
    ago and didn't preload Firefox, also closed Fx when not in use.

    Fx takes about 3 seconds to start with about 50 extensions and about
    5000 bookmarks and a couple of seconds slower the first time after
    booting. I usually close Fx when not in use. 64-bit OS with Prefetch,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8GHz and 4GB.

    No preloader.

    Rom, Mar 3, 2009
  10. D.

    John Doe Guest

    Rom <- -.invalid> wrote:

    Isn't third-party programs what open source is all about?
    Memory use is not a problem since the advent of Windows XP.
    Close it before updating. I have problems installing add-ons (like
    your alternative) with third-party cookies disabled, so they are
    enabled before installing an add-on.
    With the alternative, apparently right clicking and closing the
    "window" does not work properly when more than one Firefox icon is
    on the system tray, that is after you have opened and minimized more
    than one instance of Firefox.

    Firefox 3.0.6
    Windows XP SP3
    Like the utility you are bashing, an operating system prefetch will
    not help (unless your system knows that you are going to open
    Firefox). Every program you use has to be loaded at least once.
    Unless you want it to load quickly the first time (three seconds is
    not quick IMO), and you want it to minimize to the system tray when
    closed. I could have Firefox run on startup, but then it would not
    close to the system tray.

    John Doe, Mar 3, 2009
  11. D.

    Justin Guest

    fatsteve wrote on [Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:59:57 +0900]:
    Let's see, I have add-ons that seem to update every couple of days, I
    also encounter issues where FF runs into 500+MB of RAM usage just doing
    regular work stuff and need to restart it.

    Takes over 30 seconds to start, on a Core 2 Duo @ 2.2Ghz and 4 GB of RAM

    Justin, Mar 3, 2009
  12. D.

    Rom Guest

    No.

    Firefox Preloader is a four year old (non-Mozilla) third-party program
    that runs *in addition* to Firefox. A *new* version of Firefox
    Preloader is to be released soon.
    Everyone doesn't run WinXP and didn't four years ago. Firefox
    Preloader was intended for not just WinXP but previous Windows
    versions. Four years ago people generally didn't have a lot of RAM,
    and there's many today that don't. The point being, those with slower
    systems or lacking RAM and wanting Firefox to start faster, need(ed)
    to have another program installed, always running and using memory.
    Look at the available settings in Tools > Options > Advanced > Update.
    The default is auto, most people don't change defaults, but people can
    change or use what they want.

    If a downloaded new Fx version is used to upgrade by installing over
    the top and Firefox Preloader is closed before installing, if Firefox
    Preloader is started before opening the newly upgraded Fx (makes sense
    to start the Preloader again if using it and about to start Fx again),
    then there's compatibility checking which can also cause problems.
    You not having cookies enabled or not adding such site(s) to cookie
    exceptions is not "Problems updating while running" Firefox Preloader.
    Add addons.mozilla.org to cookie exceptions and allow for session.
    Or save to disk rather than installing add-ons directly from site(s).
    More than one instance of Firefox? Multiple Fx versions, multiple
    profiles, or multiple windows?

    The author of Firefox Preloader has been using, suggesting,
    recommending to use the alternative, a Fx extension, instead.
    Troll much.

    Normal people that can read, know the OP asked the question
    "why wouldn't everyone use this ?".
    Listing five things I could think of, some the same as the author has
    written, is not bashing or like bashing.
    I use a third-party tray minimiser-window manager that works for all
    32 & 64-bit apps/windows system-wide.

    Rom, Mar 3, 2009