Firefox Plugins: Getting Rid Of Them And Other Questions

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Lone Clapper, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Lone Clapper

    Lone Clapper Guest

    I had a problem with Macromedia Flash checking for updates without my
    knowledge or consent. My firewall software wasn't an obstacle, leading me
    to believe that Flash was communicating within the process space of
    Firefox.

    I routinely check the "Extensions" in my browser and never saw any listed.
    However, in the Macromedia "plugins" folder there was a number of dll files
    and an exe file from Macromedia. That must have been how Flash was able to
    bypass the firewall.

    Since these are dll files and integrated with Firefox, I consider this
    nothing more than spyware and a HUGE security risk. You don't know what
    those plugins are doing, what they are monitoring, what or with whom they
    are communicating. Your firewall can't stop them, either.

    So is there any other way for Firefox plugins to communicate without my
    knowledge? Is there any other place that they can hide on my computer?
    Can they hide in my registry?

    I love the Firefox browser. I don't want to stop using it because of this
    mainly because IE is no better. In fact, IE is much worse.

    However, I want these damn plugins gone! I found some from "Real
    Networks", too. Damn those jerks!

    Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Is there anyway to
    completely shut off plugin functionality? It looks like Mozilla has gotten
    just as bad as Microsoft in this respect.

    (I just read about about:plugins. It looks like there are a bunch of
    Microsoft DRM "Digital Rights Management" plugins installed. I want these
    gone, too.)

    Thanks for your help.

    Lone Clapper, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Lone Clapper

    Doug G Guest

    Try renaming the DLL files.

    Doug G, Nov 2, 2005

  3. Lone Clapper

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Flash itself don't contain spyware, but products like Microsoft WindowsXP
    does. If you are worried abut security, then take a look at Macromedias FAQ:
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/security/privacy_policy/faq.html

    Of course, all dlls, specially those that are written by Microsoft has the
    potential to communicate with the outside world without telling you nor
    alarming a firewall, but only when the dlls has been loaded. In most case dlls
    are quite harmless and required for things to work in a Microsoft environment.

    Firefox has it's plugins in one place, Firefox plugins in other locations are
    ignored.

    Empty the plugin directory and you are rid of the plugins, but those plugins
    have been installed by you at some point.

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Lone Clapper

    plew Guest

    There is an executable that starts with "getmacro..." in one of the directories
    of firefox; either delete of rename; don't remember where the programs was under
    windows.

    plew, Nov 2, 2005
  5. I dont reply to multiposted messages, pick one group and ask

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 10, 2006
  6. Lone Clapper

    Sniper .308 Guest

    Ummmmm, you just did! So, you could have at least posted something
    semi-intelligent or useful.

    Sniper .308, Jan 10, 2006
  7. I actually spent over a half hour investigating the issue, and writing a
    reply, prior to noticing that the post was cross posted. If the person
    wishes to have such benefit, then I would suggest they dont crosspost

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 11, 2006