    this been out? Should I uninstall 1.0.1 before installing 1.0.2? Can
    Firefox not make some kind of patch instead of a full upgrade all the
    time?........sorry for all the questions...

    Ron, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Le 23/03/2005 20:47, Ron a écrit :
    No problem to install the new version *over* the old one :)

    Michel Doucet, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Ron

    ..brian.. Guest

    Yes, remove the old version before installing the new one. A future
    version of the installer will properly remove old versions, but that is
    not yet the case. Settings get saved in your profile folder, which is
    separate from the program folder, so they will not be affected by the
    removal.

    Save yourself from potential problems and headaches -- uninstall first.

    Firefox Release Notes:
    [http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.2.html#issues]

    ..brian.., Mar 23, 2005
  4. Brian is quite correct!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 24, 2005
  5. Le 24/03/2005 03:48, Leonidas Jones a écrit :
    Hi,
    I do not have *any problem* coming from a french version of FF 1.0 to a
    FF 1.0.1 english and back to a french FF 1.0.2 without any
    desinstallation :)

    Michel Doucet, Mar 24, 2005
  6. You are missing the point.

    Firefox will install and run just fine without uninstalling first. You
    will not notice any issues. However, if you do not uninstall first,
    there are lingering entries in the registry that cause, most obviously,
    an orphaned listing in Add or Remove Programs. Try:

    Control Panel>>Add or Remove Programs. Do you see two entries for
    Mozilla Firefox? If you installed over the top of 1.0.1, you will see
    entries for 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. Keep installing over the top, and you
    could have half a dozen or more.

    Try uninstalling 1.0.1, as a new user would be very likely to do. You
    will actually uninstall 1.0.2, and be left with no Firefox at all.

    The orphaned entires are easy to clean up. There is even a tool built
    into Spybot S&D that will take care of it. The problem is for the user
    who runs across the entry in A/R, assumes an old version is still
    around, tries to uninstall and ends up removing their browser.

    Its not good public relations, to say the least.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 24, 2005
  7. Le 24/03/2005 23:25, Leonidas Jones a écrit :
    Yes you are right and removing by add/del pgm keeps your profile which
    is the more important.
    Thanks for the advices :)

    Michel Doucet, Mar 24, 2005
  8. Ron

    G. Carlson Guest

    What tool in Spybot will do this? I've looked but can't find it.
    Thanks.

    G. Carlson, Mar 25, 2005
  9. Note that Spybot must be running in Advanced Mode.

    Mode>>Advanced Mode, make sure its checked. Then in the left pane,
    select Tools. In the right pane look for Uninstall Info. Scroll down
    to the orphaned Firefox listing. Click once to highlight it. Then
    click the delete button and Poof!

    Its a handy littler program for more then getting rid of tracking cookies!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  10. Ron

    Herb Guest

    Where is the "Mode" option in Spybot 1.2 ?

    Herb, Mar 25, 2005
  11. Ron

    MLC Guest

    _Herb_, venerdì 25/mar/2005:
    [top posting fixed]

    In the menu, between File and Language ;-)

    MLC, Mar 25, 2005
  12. Ron

    Trev67 Guest

    ?? I uninstalled v1.0.1 after installing v1.0.2 (using Add or Remove
    Programs) with no problems.

    Trev67, Mar 25, 2005
  13. Ron

    Herb Guest

    I have 2 pull-down menus: one says "FILE" and one says "LANGUAGE", so
    what do you mean?

    Herb, Mar 25, 2005
  14. That is exactly what you should do.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  15. Honestly, I don't remember where it was in 1.2, though I know it had
    different modes, I don't remember how to access them.

    Spybot is up to 1.3 now, you might want to consider upgrading.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  16. Ron

    G. Carlson Guest

    Apparently the Mode option isn't available in Spybot 1.2.

    But I downloaded Spybot 1.3 and installed it. Per your instructions,
    there was he Mode menu and using Uninstall "poof" (as you say) went
    the old Mozilla.

    Only question: I've always used the Update function in 1.2 to check
    for updates but the fact that a 1.3 was available never showed up.
    You had to go to the website to find it. Strange.

    Anyway, thanks for the help.

    G. Carlson, Mar 26, 2005
  17. Hi.

    Make sure that you are in advanced mode.
    Go to Tools and make sure that uninstall-info is checked.
    Go to uninstall-info and delete the old entry (1.0.1).

    By the way Spybot has reached 1.4b a long time ago (half a Year ago)

    Till then,
    Jan-Peter

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Peter_R=FChmann?=, Mar 26, 2005
  18. Ron

    Herb Guest

    Spybot Version 1.2 didn't have "MODE" pull-down. Installed v1.3 and
    above directions worked fine. Always checked for Updates in 1.2 but new
    version notification never appeared.

    Adftter upgrading, also went into Control Panel to check "add/remove
    programs", as previousy suggested.

    -- Thanx, Herb

    Herb, Mar 26, 2005
  19. Ron

    MLC Guest

    _Herb_, sabato 26/mar/2005:
    I didn't remember that it wasn't there in 1.2, sorry.
    Glad it worked!

    MLC, Mar 26, 2005