    Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    prefer a fix first.

    Thanks

    anthonyberet, Feb 10, 2008

  2. anthonyberet

    richard Guest

    If it's only some pages, not all, I would suspect the actual coding.

    A link or two might help solve the problem.

    richard, Feb 10, 2008

  3. anthonyberet

    Pennywise Guest

    When a web page looks bad or unviewable in Opera, I toggle author
    mode/user mode. (Shift+G)

    Might try Alt+V-Y-N - View, page StYle, No style
    closest I've found in FireFox.

    Pennywise, Feb 10, 2008
  4. anthonyberet

    richard Guest

    What that does is basically kills the css formatting.
    I tried it on my site's page and instead of showing it formatted, it
    just showed one long list of stuff.
    Might come in handy for some really gawdy sites.
    try it on msn.com and see what happens.

    richard, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Not likely. This is a general group, and not specific to browser issues.
    How about providing a URL to a page that exhibits this 'problem' so
    someone can see if the page is actually coded poorly, rather than blame
    it on a superior browser.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 10, 2008
  6. anthonyberet

    Pennywise Guest

    I use it a lot on the smoking gun because of that puke green
    background.
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0207082jena1.html

    Pennywise, Feb 10, 2008
  7. Probably just bad code. Use sites that are better written.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 11, 2008
  8. No, but they discuss in the Firefox Support Group.

    nttp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    Christopher Jahn, Feb 11, 2008
  9. A better link:

    nntp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 11, 2008
  10. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Ah but that is why it is likely. Nothing is offtopic here (tinh) except
    spam :)
    Typically it then took ages for it to occur again!
    This page renders fine in IE, but the text hangs off to the right in FF
    for me:

    http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html

    It might be poor coding. That isn't much of a solution though sadly. I
    suppose I will have to start mailing the webmasters if so...

    anthonyberet, Feb 14, 2008
  11. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Thanks for that (and to Christopher).
    I will repost my problem there.

    anthonyberet, Feb 14, 2008
  12. anthonyberet

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Feb 14, 2008
  13. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Yes - the source of this page has nothing special, and yet it renders
    very badly for me:

    http://www.wam.umd.edu/~gerakkag/barksism.html

    Perhaps I just need to reinstall after all.

    anthonyberet, Feb 14, 2008
  14. anthonyberet

    why? Guest

    If it's told not to wrap for some reason and some other brand forces a
    wrap because it wants to rather then for another reason :)

    Maybe, have to looked?
    There is alt.html where browser quirks are often discussed which makes
    it more on topic than a general group.

    Why would a reinstall fix a, likely to be rendering issue?
    What ver of FF?
    What about a small screen shot showing the issue?

    Ok in SM 1.1.8, FF 2.0.0.9, Opera 9.20 on Win XP Pro SP2, also okay in
    Moz 1.7 on Solaris 10 x86.
    Then check it yourself,

    http://validator.w3.org/
    paste in the site URL.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    Result: Failed validation, 5 Errors

    IE6 wont even load XHTML served correctly, it wants to save the page as
    a file. Don't have IE7 up just now.

    They are identifying the content as text/html and rendering the page as
    XHTML 1.0 Trans doctype.

    As I say IE has issues, and I only use application/xhtml+xml with valid
    XHTML pages. Anything that isn't stays at text/plain and HTML 4.01
    Strict usually.

    You may want to read
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020801/

    Raw page fetch,
    02/14/08 21:14:38 Browsing
    http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html
    Fetching
    http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html
    GET /resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk
    Connection: close
    Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:24:24 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.0.49 (Linux/SuSE)
    Last-Modified: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:39:04 GMT
    ETag: "94731-2ac3-b96ba600"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    The xml version line says encoding UTF-8 while the HTTP is saying
    ISO-8859-1

    Might want to try, http://browsershots.org/ for checking in other
    browsers.
    It's possible there is an issue in IE quirks mode, loading from a proxy,
    rendering issue due to bug in code, slow link.

    I am seeing A with an acute (IIRC) in the address, seems odd as well but
    there are lots of them.

    Me

    why?, Feb 14, 2008
  15. When viewing your two examples, neither one "hangs off to the right" for
    me. Their coding is quite dissimilar, too. The CCTV page works fine with
    a browser window 'round 600 pixels wide before a horizontal scroll bar
    appears.

    The barkism page has more legible code, but both pages have errors.

    Perhaps you have set up some user option that causes what you see.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2008
  16. And why your best chances of help will come from a group *specfic* to your
    question.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2008
  17. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Shouldn't you have posted that to
    24hoursupport.helpdesk.replies.pedantic.exhausting ? ;o)

    anthonyberet, Feb 16, 2008