Firefox keeps changing location of PROFILES folder

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by jw, Apr 12, 2011.

  1. jw

    jw Guest

    What the hell is causing FF to keep changing the location of the
    PROFILES folder?

    Some times it's
    C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.........

    Other times it's
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.........

    I DO NOT want the "Local Settings" one. Everything else is in
    "Windows'application data......."

    It seems to change at random. WHY?????
    This did NOT happen in version 2.x.

    I am now running FF 3.6.15

    I should mention that because I have a batch file setup to always kill
    a folder called "Local Settings", I lost all my bookmarks when FF
    decided to move to that folder. Fortunately I had a fairly recent
    backup to restore most booknarks.

    jw, Apr 12, 2011

  2. jw

    Justin Guest

    What version of Windows are you using?
    It shouldn't be saving to c:\windows\ anything. It should be
    %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
    which would expand to
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ folder (Windows 7/Vista) or
    the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ folder (Windows XP/2000)

    Justin, Apr 12, 2011

  3. jw

    jw Guest

    Windows 98se (with Kernal Ex, which allows 98 to use FF3 and other XP
    related programs).

    Yea, and I dont need a sermon about upgrading my OS. I like 98, and
    hate XP and up. (I also have Win2k installed, but rarely use it).

    jw, Apr 13, 2011
  4. jw

    Justin Guest

    Fine. Use an unsupported and ANCIENT OS and you expect there to be problems
    This is one of the, That browser in unspported on that OS, so unexpected
    issues are the norm.

    You can make XP and Vista and 7 look just like windows 98 or windows 95
    AND get the benefit of hardware and software from this century to be supported.

    Justin, Apr 13, 2011
  5. jw

    jw Guest

    I can see where there might be some sort of problems viewing some
    websites or other such things, but changing the profiles folder is not
    the OS. This is soem sort of configuration issue, but what? Actually
    FF3 works flawlessly on the web. I went into FF with about:config and
    there is no listing of the path for the profile folder. Nor is it in
    the settings. Where the hell is it?
    No thanks. MS can keep their bloated spyware operating systems. Not
    to mention them being virus magnets. I never get viruses in 98. The
    brief hour I went online with Win2000, I already has a virus, which is
    why I do not use Win2000 to connect to the internet. I only boot to
    it to operate some of the USB stuff that 98 wont run (the one and only
    drawback of Win98 is USB support). Thats the only time I use Win2000,
    and I stripped it down to eliminate most of the unneeded apps that it
    comes with.

    If I upgrade to anything, it will be another non-MS OS such as linux
    (if they ever develop a user friendly version), or just get a
    Macintosh. But at my age, I'll probably croak before I need to
    upgrade. There's still plenty support for 98.

    Now, I didn't come here to debate my OS. I just want to find out
    where the settings are "hidden" inside FF for the location of the
    profile folder, as well as the cache, cookies, and other similar
    stuff. Actually, I'd much prefer if I could set the profile folder to
    the same folder that the FF program is, or a sub folder of it. But if
    thats not possible, at least get it to stay where it belongs.

    jw, Apr 13, 2011
  6. jw

    Justin Guest

    FF3 uses the variable %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>
    to define the profile folder, I doubt this is setup properly under Windows
    98

    see if this works
    1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information.... The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
    2. Under the Application Basics section, click on Open Containing FolderShow in Finder. A window with your profile filesfolder will open.

    Justin, Apr 13, 2011
  7. jw

    jw Guest

    Ok, I did as you said and it shows my profiles to be:
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\DEFAULT.S78

    Then I opened the windows registry using regedit. I searched for
    "firefox" then "profiles". I found "firefox" looked at all the
    subcategories in the registry. There is no reference to anything
    related to the word 'profiles' or the string to it's location. When
    searching for the word 'profiles' I found a few instances of it for
    other programs, but not for FF.

    I also searched my whole computer for any other instances of
    "Firefox.exe". There are none anywhere except in my D: drive for the
    installation of Windows2000 (which should not have any effect on the
    Win98 installation). There is nothing like a firefox.ini file or
    anything like that.

    I did find a way to modify the cache. It's now in the FF folder,
    which is
    F:\firefox3\CACHE\Cache

    I did this according to this information that I got (somewhere) in the
    past and had it saved in my FF notes.

    This is what I did.

    ------------------

    You can do this by creating a new hidden preference.

    1. Type about:config into the location bar and press enter
    2. Accept the warning message that appears, you will be taken to a
    list of preferences
    3. Right-click somewhere in the list and select "New > String"
    4. For the name of the preference type
    browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
    5. For its value type the path to where you want to store the cache
    6. Next locate the preference browser.cache.disk.enable, it must be
    set to true, if it is not, double-click on it to change its value

    ------------------------

    Of course that just changes the CACHE, not the whole profiles folder.

    It works just fine after restarting FF.

    I'll have to see if things stay where they belong now, but I have my
    doubts. I really only changed the CACHE.

    jw, Apr 14, 2011
  8. jw

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 01:14:09 -0500, in message <>

    A) Are you sure you don't have two Firefox profiles?
    You could be starting Firefox with one or other profile.

    Have you used Windows Explorer to check both locations ... ?
          "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"
          "C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"

    B) If Windows Explorer only shows a profile folder in only one place,
    but that place changes, run the following check to see whether it
    is Firefox or your OS+KernelEx combination.

    One way to tell...

    Firefox reads the location of its profile from the file
    "profiles.ini". The file "profiles.ini" is always in a fixed
    location specified by the operating system.

    Look for "profiles.ini" and read it with Notepad.

    1. If the location of "profiles.ini" also changes between
              "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"
              "C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"
    then it is most likely your OS+KernelEx combination
    changing the location of %APPDATA%.

    2. If "profiles.ini" stays in the same place but the contents
    of the "profiles.ini" in this place changes, then it is
    most likely Firefox.

    If you have two "profiles.ini" files, you need to check
    whether each one changes, not whether the two are different,
    before you can say it is Firefox.

    Simply having two "profiles.ini" files would indicate
    an OS+KernelEx problem with specifying %APPDATA%.

    Ralph Fox, Apr 17, 2011
  9. jw

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 02:26:39 -0500, in message <>

    Firefox does not use the registry to store the location of its profile.

    1. Firefox asks the operating system for the location of the
    so-called 'APPDATA' folder. The operating system stores
    the location in a registry key
    Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    Name: AppData =

    –-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–
    Note: the folder is not (usually) named "AppData". That is
    the name of the registry setting.
    –-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–

    2. Firefox reads the file %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
    where %APPDATA% represents the value which the operating system
    stores in the registry value in #1.

    –-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–
    The file "profiles.ini" cannot be moved unless the operating
    system also changes the value for AppData = [...] . Changing
    this value would affect many other programs, not just Firefox.
    –-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–-–

    3. Firefox reads the location of its profile from in the
    "profiles.ini" file.

    The two key files are "profiles.ini" and "prefs.js".

    Ralph Fox, Apr 17, 2011
  10. jw

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 01:14:09 -0500, in message <>

    Firefox 3.6.15 keeps its cache in a different location to the
    rest of its profile data,

    Perhaps
      "C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"
    contains only the cache, while
      "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"
    contains the rest of the profile data including "prefs.js".

    Have you checked what is actually in these locations?

    Ralph Fox, Apr 17, 2011