Firefox / Java applet woes under ubuntu.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pacific Dragon, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Another question for the Linux Gurus (thank you to those who responded
    regarding my apt-get problem I had)...

    The new angst I am encountering is that I am having persistent problems
    with some sites that contain java applets when viewing them under Firefox
    1.07 in Ubuntu breezy. For example every time I visit the below sites...

    http://www.nzccy.co.nz
    http://www.brilliantfunds.com/main.php

    Once the sun Java plug in loads, Firefox will just freeze solid bogging
    down the whole system with it until I get around to killing off the
    Firefox process. I've updated to the latest Sun Java run time but the
    problem continues to persist.

    Curiously enough, this does not happen on all sites, but it happens
    enough to be of an extreme annoyance.

    Does anyone know what could be going on here, what may be causing the
    problem and how can I address it? I've viewed these sites using FireFox
    1.07 under a Windows 2000 environment and they appear to display fine
    along with any java applets.

    Many thanks for any assistance / pointers.

    Pacific Dragon, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Pacific Dragon

    AD. Guest

    I suspect it would be something like the plugin and Firefox being built
    with different versions of gcc.

    I had a similar problem a couple of years back when Debian Sid changed
    from gcc 2.x to gcc 3.x. The rest of Debian handled the transition
    relatively well, but the closed source Java plugin from Sun was still
    built with gcc 2.x while Firefox was now built with 3.x. The plugin would
    freeze Firefox. Later on Sun released a gcc 3.x version that worked fine.

    I think the new Ubuntu version uses gcc 4.x while the plugin probably
    still uses gcc 3.x.

    Hope that helps (a little bit).

    AD., Jan 11, 2006