    Is there a switch I can use that directs which web page to display?

    TIA,

    -- Wayne.

    wayne, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Write as many shell scripts as launcher you would like to have, with the
    following content. Then, make the launchers point to these scripts.

    #!/bin/sh

    firefoxpath='/home/tguignar/opt/firefox-1.0/firefox'

    #get URL to load
    url=$1; [ -z $url ] && url=http://www.epfl.ch/place.html

    $firefoxpath -remote 'openURL('$url', new-window)' || $firefoxpath $url &

    Replace the firefoxpath with what's valid on your system and the url
    variable with what you need.

    Hope this helps.

    Tom

    P.S. The -remote switch ensures that each time you use this script, it
    actually opens a new window in Firefox rather than invoking a new
    instance of Firefox (which leads to problems regarding your profile). By
    changing new-window to new-tab, for example, you could make the scripts
    open your home pages to a new tab instead of a new window.

    Thomas Guignard, Feb 23, 2005

  3. wait, I'm an idiot. You only need one script like this, with the default
    url inside. To open other urls, simply pass the url as parameter. If
    your script is named launch_browser.sh for example, then you can use

    launch_browser.sh http://www.spreadfirefox.com

    etc...

    Thomas Guignard, Feb 23, 2005
  4. wayne

    wayne Guest

    I think you are being a little harsh on yourself Tom ;-)
    That worked exactly perfect. If run from the command line,
    and firefox is not currently running, the following is generated:

    Error: No running window found

    This is not seen while using as a launcher, so it is no big deal.

    Thanks Tom,

    -- Wayne.

    wayne, Feb 23, 2005