Firefox has driven me nuts I am back to IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Magnaverse, Sep 10, 2007.

  1. Magnaverse

    Magnaverse Guest

    I have a monster T-rex for a computer with 40GB in ther system and a
    Hard drive of 512
    before i wasted my time with all the Fire fox add-ons the speed on
    this baby was awesome
    I'm running XP - and as soon as I take my finger off the last key the
    page is there
    I wasn't satisfied wiith the time it took to start up my machine so I
    thought I'll see what all the hype is about so I made firefox my
    default browser
    it was a nightmare Gmail sucks and all the bells and whistles are
    useless in the long run
    If I can only get my "baby" to start up fast I will be in computer
    heaven
    my question to the groupmembers is this:
    How can I make this baby start up at a decent speed
    I am running High Speed but the machine still drags its ass
    is there any way to clear out all the firefox add-ons and someone
    suggest what I actually need
    the botom line is that I wouldn't mind having both browsers working
    effectively
    also what do you guys think about OPERA
    Thanks in advance
    Magna

    Magnaverse, Sep 10, 2007

  2. Magnaverse babbled, mostly incoherently:
    40GB of ram? Hard drive of 512MB?
    So why did you add the add-ons?
    Wise choice.
    Gmail has nothing to do with Firefox, and the speed of your computer.
    Clean it up.
    Tools > Add-ons
    Delete everything.
    Hard to say. I have eight of them installed, and most of those are for
    web developing. Adblock and Flashblock are worthy additions. So is
    PrefBar.
    You still use IE?
    Great browser.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 10, 2007

  3. Magnaverse

    Mara Guest

    What does running Firefox as your default browser have to do with how fast your
    machine starts up?

    Hint: it doesn't.
    Running Bootvis will help - google for it. I was going to say that you should
    remove everything from startup that you don't need, but then I realised you're a
    GGer, so you probably shouldn't even try.

    Mara, Sep 10, 2007
  4. Magnaverse

    Mike Easter Guest

    Magnaverse wrote:
    <snip> MSIE 7.0; <snip>

    You are a googlegrouper posting to a usenet newsgroup using a browser
    IE7.

    You should get a newsreader and a newsserver. You should use GG only
    for searching or reading/posting to googlespecific groups, not usenet
    groups.

    If currently you like to use IE7, then I guess you should use Windows
    Mail which is the old OE for your newsreader and some newsserver like
    news.aioe.org. Then after you learn how to news on usenet, you can make
    some other choices which are perhaps better.
    Your post is poorly formatted with shortlines because you are a google
    grouper who is using a browser to post to a usenet group who doesn't
    know how to post and allow the editor to format your lines for you.
    Hard drive of 512 before i wasted my time with all the Fire fox add-ons
    the speed on this baby was awesome

    ITYM Ithinkyoumean your hdd is 40G and your ram is 512meg. You must be
    running XP and IE7 and your system is marginal for your OS and browser.
    page is there I wasn't satisfied wiith the time it took to start up my
    machine so I thought I'll see what all the hype is about so I made
    firefox my default browser it was a nightmare Gmail sucks and all the
    bells and whistles are useless in the long run

    If I were you, I would be running a different OS and a different
    browser. If you are stuck with XP, then my browser would be Opera.
    heaven

    Use a different operating system and use it more securely. Use an
    operating system which doesn't have any malware installed. You could
    check out a linux distro with a live CD and then install it into a
    different partition. Then you could also use a different browser.

    If you don't want to install a different OS, then at least you should
    install a more efficient browser.
    start up at a decent speed

    Clean up XP and/or change OS.
    suggest what I actually need

    If you uninstall firefox the addons should go.
    Opera would probably be a better choice for your system than Firefox.

    Mike Easter, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Oh come off it, stop being so elitist. So he doesn't know how to
    perfectly format his messages; you understood him so what's the problem?
    So WHAT if he's a GGer? You got the message, you could read it, it
    served a purpose. I know there are those who would seek to banish GG
    users from having realtime access at all to usenet, but when you start
    dealing with that kind of sectioned-off usenet then you're getting into
    the realms of segregation and fascism, of a sort.

    It's the feeling I also got when I first read http://improve-usenet.org,
    and frankly it disgusts me. ARPANet, and later the Internet, wasn't
    designed for the WWW, but it evolved to meet the changing circumstances
    within which it operated and was used. TCP/IP wasn't initially designed
    for the sheer volume of users worldwide, but it's grown and evolved to
    meet the need. Usenet (and its users) should do the same. Your kind of
    forward. I agree with the sentiments that users should try and compose
    messages to the best of their abilities, but not everybody's at the same
    level skills-wise (and it might not even be the OP's first language) so
    cut him/her some slack. Also, who knows how old he/she is, so there we
    go.

    Back on topic now: Firefox is a good browser I think we can all
    generally agree.

    There's various problems and his description of his setup is too vague
    to effectively provide a solution which'll sort him out from the get go,
    but that's another matter. The computer could do with having another
    512Mb of RAM installed in it to make it nippier, and it's probably
    running slow because the hard drive is filling up and/or it's got loads
    of files (MP3s, videos etc) installed on it, so buy another hard drive.
    Start from scratch with your Windows installation if at all possible,
    it'll be a bit of a task getting to the point where you're ready for
    daily use (reinstallation of Office and stuff takes a while if you're
    not used to what to expect) but you won't regret the speed boost which
    comes as a result of all the effort.

    Christopher

    Christopher Woods, Sep 10, 2007
  6. Google Grouper. Watch out for flying drool!

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  7. Yo. Internet Freedumb Fighter. Don't forget to mention Hitler.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  8. Magnaverse

    Mara Guest

    I move that the 24HSHD Group Requirement of having to wear a pair of underpants
    on your head in order to post be modified to include wearing plastic raincoats,
    just for the above reason.

    Any seconds?

    Mara, Sep 10, 2007
  9. Magnaverse

    Mara Guest

    You can't Godwin the thread - Woods already did.

    Mara, Sep 10, 2007
  10. Magnaverse

    Mike Easter Guest

    Here's what is wrong with how you are posting here.

    Instead of 'conforming' to the conventional process of attributing,
    trimming, and contextualizing so that you participate in an egalitarian
    conversational process, you have performed some kind of unconventional
    top posting with some kind of unconventional message agent which isn't
    properly designed to participate in a newsgroup conversation.

    http://www.mapilab.com/

    This isn't an experimental nnntp laboratory.

    You should go get a newsagent instead of whatever it is you are using.
    GGers consist of those who are participating in a 'medium' with a
    browser which was intended for something else. So are you. You are
    just as much outawhack as the OP. That means Original Poster if you
    aren't familiar with popular shorthand.
    I got the message, I responded to the message, and I recommended
    important changes. Which I'm also recommending to you since you are
    also using the wrong tool for the job.
    Think of it as both marginalizing GGers as well as trying to guide them
    into a better form of communicating. Which I am also recommending to
    you. You should get a real newsagent instead of whatever you are using.
    Fascism? Give me a break. If you disagree with someone's opinion, you
    call your opposition a fascist. You don't know very much about
    discussing differences of opinion.
    I think you need to be talking to the OP, not me. I know the usefulness
    of various flavors of IE, as well as Firefox, Opera, and some browsers
    that are exclusively linus.

    Apparently you've found a newsserver. Now you need to find a newsagent.
    If you like MS, I suggest some proper newsagent not:

    Mike Easter, Sep 10, 2007
  11. Seconded.

    Once the Eskimos prevail in their war on Google, this will be
    rescindable, right?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  12. Shhhh. I know.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  13. He loves Google Groupers so, I can't think of a place were he'd feel
    more at home than posting from among them.
    I'm surprised he didn't cry "pedophile". That's all the rage for any
    perceived affront, these days. Isn't it sad when people learn a new
    word and toss it around like a beach ball?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  14. Magnaverse

    Richard Guest

    or "paediatrician". Would look similar to GGs.

    Richard, Sep 10, 2007
  15. Heh. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  16. Magnaverse

    elaich Guest

    Blinky, hope you don't mind me linking to your "Usenet Improvement" site on
    Wikipedia in the article about "Eternal Semptember."

    elaich, Sep 10, 2007
  17. Not at all! But I don't subscribe to (and don't know anybody who does)
    filtering on User-Agent. It's more efficient (it takes less bandwidth
    and therefore time) to kill based on the string google appearing in
    the Message-ID header because of the way clients do filtering. I don't
    want it to look like I'm reporting widespread use of User-Agent for this
    or suggesting that filtering use that method.

    Should that footnote include some text like the others? Like the site
    name?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  18. Magnaverse

    elaich Guest

    In Wikipedia, looks like you need to have a bot come by and expand it. I
    tried, but maybe I am Wiki challenged. Eventually, some bot will expand the
    link.

    elaich, Sep 10, 2007
  19. And what about my comment to you here that I don't want to be associated
    with the idea of filtering on User-Agent, as that footnote shows now?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007
  20. Never mind. I put a disclaimer on my "Participating" page saying no, don't
    do that, do this. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2007