Firefox Browser Won't Open After Failed Updating Attempt: Need Help With Error Msg., Please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Tried updating my Firefox Browser to latest version as they suggested in a
    window on the Browser's front page.

    Big mistake.
    Halfway thru the updating process, it asked me to shut down any running
    programs which i attempted to do. Now I can't get it to work at all.

    Whenever I try to open it up, I get the following window with an error msg.:

    "This program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to
    complete. Please restart"

    I tried shutting the PC off, and then rebooting, but the msg still comes up
    whenever I try to open Firefox.

    Tried logging off, and also switching users.
    The new User also gets the error msg.

    Also tried Control Alt Del, but it does not solve the problem

    Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Really stumped on what else to
    try.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    Go into Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs and try
    to uninstall Firefox from there, and then reboot.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 23, 2005

  3. netscape.public.mozilla.browsers

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Robert11

    cineman Guest

    It did this to me , but after a couple of days, it suddenly worked ok.

    cineman, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Best advice is to download the newest version at http://www.mozilla.org
    Install the new version. It will ask if you wish to completely delete
    the old one. Tell it yes. You should be good to go. By the way, all
    install programs tell you to close any open programs. This warning can
    be safely ignored.

    Dennis Turner, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Robert11

    trout Guest

    Hmm. I installed this way, and didn't receive that prompt. It just
    installed over the old version without comment.
    I guess that's more true these days. But if you've got a crappy old
    computer like mine, where resources are so limited that the screen dims
    when it switches from AM to PM, closing other programs is still a good
    idea.

    trout, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Robert11

    burris Guest

    I think that it depends on which version you download...exe self-install
    or zip.

    The self install should give you this message but the zip usually
    doesn't as it isn't really installing anything until you unzip it to a
    temp file first.

    burris, Apr 24, 2005