    Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are opened, and
    I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my Zone Alarm icon.
    Any clues as to what this could be?

    screen, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Which specific ports?

    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 25, 2006

  3. screen

    screen Guest

    Not sure since I uninstalled the program. Do you mean my process port or
    the local address port?

    I have noticed that it's exactly every 15 seconds that Zone Alarm seems to
    have activity and it's only when I open Firefox.
    I thought that with an uninstall and no plug-ins, the problem might be
    solved. However, the same thing happened. I even tried closing
    Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and all my Avast AV shields, but Zone Alarm still
    showed activity every 15 seconds ONLY when Firefox was opened (no matter
    what site I went to).

    screen, Feb 28, 2006
  4. screen

    RodneyK Guest

    I also notice modem activity when I open FF. I suspect it is my
    extensions that cause the activity. Especially Sage which updates it's
    news feeds. Is this not correct?

    RodneyK

    RodneyK, Feb 28, 2006
  5. screen

    Miller Guest

    ** wrote on 25.02.06 07:20:
    You might try out TDIMon form Sysinternals:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html
    (Freeware, no nags etc..)
    Very useful to me.

    HTH, Miller

    Miller, Feb 28, 2006
  6. You said 4 ports were open, which ones were they?

    Anytime a browser is open, there can be multiple reasons why it accesses
    the internet - it can be the site meta refresh, it can also be Firefox's
    update settings, it could be Firefox checking on mail (if you have such).
    Without knowing which ports ZA was 'alarming' over, anything is
    speculation and no proper 'fix' (or determination if it actaually was a
    problem) made.

    I have seen ZA 'alarm' over regular checks by ISPs (to see if the IP is
    still in use), seen it 'alarm' over mail checks, over anything, it all
    depends upon the settings in ZA

    You could also have spyware on your computer, or a trojan, piggybacking
    on the Firefox connection. Have you checked your computer for such?
    Once again, without the specific ports that ZA is 'alarming' over, its
    quite difficult to adjudge exactly if there is a problem, and if so,
    exactly what it is.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 28, 2006
  7. Yes, thats correct. It could be almost anything from ISP checking to
    RSS feeds, to mail (if such is enabled) - what is required is the actual
    port numbers ZA is 'alarming' over.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 28, 2006
  8. screen

    RodneyK Guest

    Sorry I took so long in replying.
    I had a problem finding out which port no.s were being used.
    I've downloaded a programme called TCPView from Sysinternals. It
    displays the local address, the remote address and the port number of a
    connection. It can also tell the Process's properties, who the remote
    address is registered to and can end the connection.
    The remote addresses of a number of connections were suspicious. I'm in
    contact with a spyware forum and so far we've found a malware dialler
    that all my AntiSpyware programs missed.
    So that modem activity when FF was opened betrayed spyware.

    I recommend the programme TCPView to anyone who is suspicious about
    their modem's activity.

    TCPView.exe is free. - at
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

    RodneyK