firefox 2 should not have been released when it was

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Toedipper, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. Toedipper

    Toedipper Guest

    Obviously not finished and full of bugs, it seems it was rushed out to grab
    the same limelight that ie7 was in when it was released.

    I have been using it on Windows for a couple of years and have recently just
    moved to Linux as I am not getting brainwashed by the Redmond machine that
    says I need a new pc that is 'Vista ready' so that I can essentially see a
    pretty desktop.

    My web still works the same as does my word processing and spreadsheets, a
    pretty desktop won't make them better.

    Anyway back to Firefox - why does Firefox HQ assume that anyone who uses
    Linux is a rocket scientist? The install routine on Linux for Firefox needs
    a Phd.

    Linux is now at a crucial time, believe me there are man many disgruntled
    Windows users who are looking @ Linux as an alternaive. I've made the move
    but Firefox on Windows XP ran / installs 100 times better than Linux, why
    do you assume that newbie Linux users are brain surgeons? Mozilla (and
    other Linux software providers) need to realise that there is a new breed
    of Linux users who are arriving from an environment whereby they download a
    file, click it and it magically installs on their system with icons etc,
    they don't need to go wandering under the bonnet. You do it for Windows
    users so why not Linux users!

    that's my 2p worth

    toe.

    Toedipper, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Toedipper

    Olgierd Guest

    I'm LLM only so 'sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox' as well as simple
    unpacking a tar.gz file work perfectly.

    Olgierd, Nov 18, 2006

  3. Toedipper

    Snooky Guest

    I've been running it for 3 weeks or so now and haven't experienced any bugs.

    Snooky, Nov 19, 2006
  4. What bugs? You say full of bugs and then fail to list any.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Nov 19, 2006
  5. :) I've been off the Windows treadmill for years.

    It used to not be so bad. The release notes for Firefox used to have
    instructions for installation on Linux--then they removed them for
    Firefox 2.0

    :-\

    The instructions for installing FF 1.5 are thin, but they're here:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/releases/1.5.0.8.html#install

    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 19, 2006
  6. What did you find difficult about it?

    John Thompson, Nov 20, 2006
  7. Toedipper

    Paul Guest

    I've been running FF2.0 since day one, and I've had no end of browser hangs,
    and long wait times for pages to refresh. It aint a interweb speed issue
    either as I have IE7 on this box as well, and the pages load way faster,
    even with IE and FF running in parallel.
    Doing a speed test with my 2 laptops, shows that IE7 is faster and more
    reliable but the "new zingy" style is a bag 'o' shyte..
    That said, I do prefer FF2.0 when it works.... FF1.5 was more stable.

    More Beta testing needed, and stop trying to beat Microsoft.. FF will win,
    as it will be better once the few bugs are ironed out...

    FF install on my Suse Linux box was sooo simple... Works fine..

    paul.

    Paul, Nov 21, 2006