Firefox 1.5 causing popups in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Karl S, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Karl S

    Karl S Guest

    Lately I have been getting Internet Explorer popup windows while using
    Firefox 1.5, even though Internet explorer is not running.

    The popups never occur in Firefox-they are always IE popup windows.

    This never happened in previous versions of Firefox.

    I have done numerous scans for viruses and adware, and even had a
    HijackThis file analyzed, but my computer does not seem to be infected with
    anything.

    "Block Popup Windows" is checked in Firefox Options, and I am using Adblock
    Plus.

    I am using the following settings in about:config
    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins 2
    privacy.popups.firstTime false
    privacy.popups.policy 2
    privacy.popups.showBrowserMessage false
    privcy.popups.usecustom true

    Does anybody know what might be causing this?

    Thanks,

    Karl

    Karl S, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Karl S

    gwtc Guest

    Mine are:

    FF 1.0.7
    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins 2
    privacy.popups.firstTime true
    privacy.popups.policy 2
    privacy.popups.showBrowserMessage true

    FF 1.5
    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins 2
    privacy.popups.firstTime true
    privacy.popups.policy 1
    privacy.popups.showBrowserMessage true
    privcy.popups.usecustom true

    in Moz 1.7.12
    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins 2
    privacy.popups.showBrowserMessage true
    privacy.popups.first_popup false

    otherwise, I don't know.

    gwtc, Dec 29, 2005

  3. Karl

    Try the following and see if it persists:
    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins 2
    privacy.popups.firstTime true
    privacy.popups.policy 1
    privacy.popups.showBrowserMessage true
    privcy.popups.usecustom true

    Are you using any other apps
    in the meanwhile?

    I am getting a similar effect when using Macromedia Contribute - but
    have not seen the effect with FF1.5.

    [email protected], Dec 29, 2005
  4. Your computer is probably infected with adware.
    I have on several occasions seen adware/spyware infections that could
    not be detected or disinfected by any scanner I tried. The only solution
    was to do a full reinstallation (not just a repair) of Windows.

    Dave

    Dave Benjamin, Dec 29, 2005