    all works, every single image loads up perfectly without any problems
    or errors

    So any idea why Firefox won't load them?

    Zygon Curry, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Zygon Curry

    Moz Champion Guest

    One:
    Do you have Firefox set to block remote images?
    [Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Web Features
    X Load Images
    [] for the originating site only
    (UNcheck the second)

    Two:
    Do you have a url where this problem occurs so it can be checked?

    *varies by OS
    windows
    [Tools-->Options]
    linux
    [Edit-->Preferences]

    Moz Champion, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Zygon Curry

    Tom Betz Guest

    I have found a lot of web sites that are improperly coded with
    backslashes "\" in the URLs instead of forward slashes "/".

    Internet Exploder doesn't know the difference, and displays them anyway.

    Firefox properly doesn't recognize these strings as URLs.

    Have you looked at the source of any of these web sites?

    Tom Betz, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    No, Firefox is not set to block remote images. The second box is
    unchecked. It was one of the first things I checked.

    Even cleared out the Firefox cache to make sure that wasn't the
    problem.

    http://www.rnbonline.co.uk

    http://www.amazon.co.uk (and pages browsed within)

    http://www.bbc.co.uk (and pages browsed within)

    However, it's pretty much happening on all sites that have a picture
    graphics on them, big or small. those two are just examples of ones I
    have visited recently.

    I have a 2mb connection so I know it's not a lack of bandwidth and
    speed that's causing the problem. Especially since Mozilla 1.7.8 and
    IE works fine.

    I've been using Firefox for a long time and this image loading problem
    is a fairely recent problem. I'd say it's only been happening for a
    few weeks now.

    Also, when I installed Firefox, I even followed the common
    "about:config" changes that are often mentioned on here to speed up
    Firefox (as described below)

    -------------
    Speed up Firefox

    Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox
    up:

    1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down
    and look for the following entries:

    network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining
    network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

    Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time.
    When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really
    speeds up page loading.

    2. Alter the entries as follows:

    Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

    Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

    Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This
    means it will make 30 requests at once.

    3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it
    "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is
    the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it
    recieves.

    If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster
    now!
    -------------

    Zygon Curry, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    Most of these websites I look at are well known ones, like the BBC and
    Amazon. They both have this image problem with Firefox, but work OK in
    Mozilla and IE. I've even listed a smaller site that I've visited
    recently and that has the same problem as well

    Zygon Curry, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Zygon Curry

    Doug G Guest

    If the problem doesn't occur when Firefox is run in safe mode, an
    extension or theme may be the cause.

    All three sites looked okay to me when using FF 1.0.6.

    Doug G, Sep 9, 2005
  7. Zygon Curry

    Moz Champion Guest

    All three look fine here as well.
    Maybe you would think about disabling your tweak you mentioned in a sub
    thread, to see if that is affecting it. Some sites DONT work with
    pipelining.

    Moz Champion, Sep 9, 2005
  8. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    The problem ocurs in Safe Mode as well.

    I do have several extensions installed though

    Any idea if the extensions get automatically uninstalled if I
    uninstall Firefox, or do they stay in some directory?

    Thinking I might reinstall it.

    Zygon Curry, Sep 9, 2005
  9. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    Thanks for the help everyone.

    Well I took the plunge into the deep end and totally removed Firefox,
    deleted all the relevant folders, etc and started again with a fresh
    install.

    When freshly installed everything worked fine. I visited the three
    sites I mentioned earlier and all viewed perfectly. I then made the
    pipeling tweak... and then the problem started again.... disabled the
    pipelining tweak and all was back to normal!

    So looks like it was that.

    I've since gone back and reinstalled my main theme and various
    extensions and nothings gone wrong so far.

    I'm going to be keeping an eye on it just in case and see how it goes.

    As for the pipelining tweak, does it actually make a visible increase
    in speed and performance?

    Zygon Curry, Sep 9, 2005
  10. Zygon Curry

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pipelining, and associatted tweaks will result in improvement speeds on
    SOME sites, the problem is, they will break other sites.

    Moz Champion, Sep 12, 2005