    load from other applications, which I would expect to do the job. But
    it doesn't.

    Any ideas what I'm missing?

    Danny Colyer, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Danny Colyer

    maxo Guest

    Search the newsgroup first and you would've found the solution I posted
    yesterday. :D

    create a file called firefox.sh or you can call it
    mozilla-remote.sh--whatever, in your favourite text editor, add the
    following text:

    #!/bin/sh
    MOZILLA="/usr/bin/firefox"
    if $MOZILLA -a firefox -remote "ping()" 2>/dev/null
    then
    echo "Mozilla already launch"
    location=",new-tab"
    exec $MOZILLA -a firefox -remote "openURL($1$location)"
    else
    exec $MOZILLA "[email protected]"
    fi
    exit 1

    Change the "MOZILLA=" to point at your firefox executable. Save somewhere
    handy, I save mine as .firefox.sh, so it's a hidden file in my /home
    directory. Then I point Gnome and KDE to this file as my "default"
    browser--i.e. I tell Gnome and other apps to use "/home/max/.firefox.sh
    %s" as the default browser.

    This script is for 0.9 for anybody else reading, for 0.8 or earlier,
    remove all of the "-a firefox"'s

    :D

    maxo, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Oh yes, I did find that. Thanks, but it looks very much like a Linux
    solution. What do I need to do to get it to work in W2K? (I should
    have specified that at the beginning, sorry).

    Danny Colyer, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Danny Colyer

    maxo Guest

    I should have realized that I was posting to a cross-platform newsgroup,
    my bad. I'd love to know how to do it in Windows as well. Please post
    back if you figure out the solution!

    maxo, Jun 19, 2004