    Whenever I click on a .wmv file...it just brings up a loooonnggg page of
    code rather than opening a player...can this be corrected? I'm tired of
    opening IE just for these files.

    Axl, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Axl

    Ed Mullen Guest

    That is most likely caused by the web server sending an incorrect MIME
    type when you click on the link. If you have an example URL please post
    it and we'll investigate.

    Ed Mullen, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Axl

    Axl Guest

    you must be right...i went to ign.com to check their wmv files and those
    work fine....although it opened those up in a pop-up wm player, not the
    actual program. Anyhow I guess it's just the site's problem.

    Axl, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Axl

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Windows Media can be encoded/embedded in a number of different ways on a
    web page. Some of which depend on Windows and IE and ActiveX which
    Mozilla doesn't support. It's proprietary/non-standard. That's why
    some will open the Media Player in a separate window.

    Ed Mullen, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Axl

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 12/5/03 12:28 PM, Axl typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    Like Ed said, it's a mime type problem, but what I do when this happens
    is "save page as" and then if you want you can keep it or delete it. Aron

    A Hess, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Axl

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Good advice, Aron. The other thing to do, if you've got the time and
    are willing, is send a polite email to the webmaster and point out the
    problem. Mention that IE /may/ handle a non-standard Web page ok but
    standars-compliant browsers more likely will not. And that there's no
    guarantee as to how IE will handle any non-standard situation: it's a
    crap shoot and that's why standards exist. They give Web developers a
    defined functionality to which they can code with assurance that all
    visitors will be happy. And isn't that what they want? To maximize the
    number of people who can view their site successfully.

    Ed Mullen, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Latest Mozilla does, or is that just NS7.1?

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Axl

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Not as far as I know. You can compile it in or get the separate
    plug-in. Though, ActiveX is useless outside of certain MS-owned domains
    anyway. Well, it's useless in MS sites too; they could just use
    downloadable programs (e.g, to check what needs updating) or XML HTTP
    requests.

    Also, ActiveX is semi-standard. It's based on COM (or is it the same
    thing?) and provisions for ActiveX controls are provided in (X)HTML
    starting at HTML 4.0, though the current draft for XHTML 2.0 doesn't
    allow it.

    Keith Bowes, Dec 10, 2003