    What are the pro's ond con's?

    Thanks

    Tom

    twfsa, Dec 11, 2004

  2. twfsa

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Pros:
    No Active X
    Harder to Exploit
    Tabbed browsing (natively, not through some 3rd party shell)

    Cons:
    No Active X
    Some websites specifically check for IE and won't display in other browsers

    Jim Berwick, Dec 11, 2004

  3. twfsa

    Ionizer Guest

    For a couple of months now, I've been using Firefox as my secondary
    browser. I've left it in its bare-bones original form, with no plug-ins,
    etc., and as a result feel somewhat safe when treading into unknown
    waters. Actually, that's what I'm using it for with some degree of
    confidence- it's my unadorned and arguably-safer way of browsing into
    questionable neighborhoods where I might not trust IE to keep me safe.

    Give it a test drive- it will import all your IE "Favorites" when you
    install it if you like, but it won't insist on becoming your primary
    browser. And you don't want to get rid of IE anyway- it's the only way to
    access Windows Update.

    If nothing else, you'll love Firefox's tabbed browsing.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Dec 11, 2004
  4. twfsa

    Thor Guest

    Big deal if it's native to Firefox. Maxthon's tabbed browsing works every
    bit as well as Firefox's, even better, IMHO because it gives more
    customizing options on controlling the behavior, placement, size, font,
    color, etc. of the tabs. If I have to download and install a completely
    separate browser like firefox to get tabbed browsing, I don't see how that
    is any better than downloading a shell to give IE other features including
    tabbed browsing.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2004
  5. twfsa

    Plato Guest

    You dont switch, you simply use whatever browser you like. I have 5
    different ones here and often use several at the same time.

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004
  6. twfsa

    Thor Guest

    browser orgy

    ;-)

    Thor, Dec 11, 2004
  7. twfsa

    Plato Guest

    You Ohio farmboys always have sex on your mind. Guess it's your only
    form of entertainment out there in cow chip land. Up here in the big
    East we got malls and movies :)

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004
  8. twfsa

    ric Guest

    Such as? I've yet to come across a site that wouldn't operate with
    Firefox. And I don't miss all the popup ads, either.

    ric, Dec 11, 2004
  9. twfsa

    Ionizer Guest

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Ionizer, Dec 11, 2004
  10. twfsa

    Thor Guest

    oh we have malls and movies too. But we still have sex on our minds all the
    time. heh, heh. ;-)

    Thor, Dec 11, 2004
  11. twfsa

    Plato Guest

    I miss Ohio actually. Black earth, all the stars you see at night. Here
    the dirt is red, and the only thing I see in the sky at night is the
    generally about a dozen jet lights as they approach Newark Airport. We
    fall asleep to the contant grind of the New Jersy Turnpike. Add in some
    gunshots about 3 days per week and you know in home-sweet-home.

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004
  12. twfsa

    ric Guest

    ric, Dec 11, 2004
  13. twfsa

    icewhain Guest

    Where does firefox store your favourites/bookmarks? (I usually make a
    copy of them in case I need to restore them.)

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  14. twfsa

    icewhain Guest

    Oh, it's ok. It looks like you can export them as an html file. Hmm,
    that's nicer than having the whole directory structure backed up...

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  15. twfsa

    Jim Berwick Guest

    For the longest time Capital One would not let you log in with any browser
    other than NC 4.x or IE 5+, going as far as checking the useragent and
    document.all() support from the browser.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 12, 2004