    So far I have been able to feed the latitude and longitude that the XL
    gives me of a large tree into Google Maps, and see that tree on
    Google's satellite view.

    Matty F, Dec 29, 2010

  2. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    It occurs to me that "Pedestrian Mode" would achieve what I want.
    However I don't think the XL has that option, or if it has, I can't
    find it.

    Matty F, Dec 29, 2010

  3. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    >, ,
    Matty F says...
    Most of the Tom Tom's I've seen are very simple devices with fairly
    limited options. Does it really matter that the map "snaps" to the
    street? - the lat/long location is still there, and isn't that all you
    actually want?

    Dave Doe, Dec 29, 2010
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    But the Tom Tom shows the lat/long of the middle of the street, and
    not of where I am standing some 30 metres away.

    Matty F, Dec 29, 2010
  5. Matty F

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Using a device that is made for a car for an accurate GPS survey does not
    sound like it is working. Can you load some kind of hacked tom tom OS on
    it for more accuracy?

    Dave Taylor, Dec 29, 2010
  6. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    But it is working most of the time. I am able to get accurate
    locations of trees and see those trees on Google Maps. But at some
    locations it keeps showing me the location of the middle of the
    nearest road. A feature that I don't want.

    Matty F, Dec 29, 2010
  7. Matty F

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Using a car centric device to do what you want is not logical, hack it or
    find something else.
    The device is obviously awesome, it finds the road! I want one now :)

    Dave Taylor, Dec 29, 2010
  8. Matty F

    Simon Guest

    Is this related to the boundary dispute you mentioned earlier? If so
    it sounds like it's progressed to the point where a surveyor needs to
    be called in to verify the exact location of the boundary pegs.

    Simon, Dec 29, 2010
  9. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    The lost peg is not on my boundary but I am assisting my neighbours to
    find it (because they are over 80 years old and are not good at
    abseiling!). A surveyor is not needed to locate a boundary peg if it's
    actually there. I've not found it yet, but the land is exceedingly
    overgrown and very steep. Who's going to pay for the surveyor? Not me
    that's for sure.

    Matty F, Dec 29, 2010
  10. Matty F

    Simon Guest

    Yes - if it's there. Also considering the amount of effort you're
    obviously expending on this, personally I'd recommend to the
    neighbours that if this is indeed becoming a big issue, then they
    should foot the bill and hire one. Locating the survey peg won't take
    the surveyor very long at all.

    Simon, Dec 29, 2010