    when I unplug it, the problem address is still pingable.

    Googling the name doesn't turn up anything.

    Can anybody suggest how to find out more about it?

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 19, 2010

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):
    Oops. I lied: also hooked up a LogiTech Squeezebox (internet
    radio). But that device is accounted for: pingable, present in
    the router's explicit address list, and so-on.

    I'm assuming that the problem device must be an actual piece of
    hardware, since it has a MAC address. Bad assumption?

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 19, 2010

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Lem Guest

    If you can see its MAC address, you can find out the manufacturer (which
    might help identify it):
    http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl
    http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/

    Lem, Mar 19, 2010
  4. Hi
    Download and run this free application.
    Pull its Option menu and configure it to provide max, info.
    Run it and give it a minute to do its thing.
    It might provide better info about all networked devices.
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 19, 2010
  5. (PeteCresswell), Mar 19, 2010
  6. Per Jack [MVP-Networking]:
    Did it. Presents a useful list to compare against the router's
    DHCP reservation table.

    Thanks.

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 19, 2010
  7. Hi
    You can also add to Netscan the oui.txt and configure it to id the
    manufacturers of the Network cards.
    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 20, 2010