    using all three.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Steve Freides

    °Mike° Guest

    Try Ron Martell's suggested (OE) filter.
    <

    °Mike°, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Steve Freides

    h2so4 Guest

    I am by no means an expert on these matters but here goes anyway(experts
    feel free to contradict me or to suggest some other solutions).
    1. If you've not "munged" your email address or added a spam trap to it, it
    is unlikely that you will avoid this plague of emails containing the SWEN
    virus. You are particularly vulnerable if you use kazaa or other file
    sharing network.
    2. You should have current antivirus software with the latest definitions
    installed. I use Norton 2003 Internet Security. Norton antirus has
    successfully cauught half a dozen or so virii that I or some other of my
    household have indvertantly triggered by being less than careful about
    opening email. I also have the most recent Microsoft security patch
    installed (NOT the one referred to in the spam plague)! I have avoided
    infection.
    3. I use a program called Mailwasher which downloads all my email headers
    doen from my ISP so that I can browse through these or prospect for my
    legitimate mail. The spam is very readily identifable from the headers.
    Mailwasher has a "bounce" feature which is to be avoided at all costs. It
    does not bounce spam back to the spammer but bounces it out of your system
    back into circulation around the net and to people who may be your friends,
    but who have not protect their systems who may have inadvertently sent you
    the spam in the first place. Mailwasher does have a blacklist feature which
    is useful. When you blacklist spam in Mailwasher you effectively mark it for
    deletion. Thus if it returns it is identied by a tick. Browsing through as
    many as a hundred headers in a single day and blacklisting/deleting spam
    from my mailbox took me ten minutes in the first instance. This time got
    shorter as time passed as many of the headers had already been ticked and as
    time has passed the volume appears to be dropping. I expect about twenty per
    day now which represents progress.
    I would like to disembowel the freaks behind this outrage, fry their vitals
    and force feed them with them before throwing them to the dogs. However,
    being a simple soul and realising my cyber limitations, I've begun to take
    it all rather philosophically. It's pointless to live in England and
    complain about the rain! It's equally pointless to worry about the existence
    of spam. I now have built a five minute routine when I check my email before
    downloading it. Rather like emptying a litter box each day.
    Hope this helps or inspires others to be even more helpful.

    h2so4, Sep 22, 2003