Film vs Digital Photography: THE FINAL DEBATE

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joseph Meehan, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Define "better" in this context.

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Joseph Meehan

    whoisthis Guest

    BOTH, it depends od what you are trying to do. You may as well ask which
    is better, a car or a truck.

    whoisthis, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

    Which is better....film or digital photography?

    Which is better... an apple or orange?

    Joseph Kewfi, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Joseph Meehan

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "Mxsmanic"
    I like chocolate.

    Annika1980, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Joseph Meehan

    m II Guest

    Let's not and say we did. What a jerk

    mike

    m II, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Joseph Meehan

    Alan D-W Guest

    The last time ever? In the whole world? So if we get this out of the way now
    it will never ever be asked again? I don't think so.

    Alan D-W, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Joseph Meehan

    John Navas Guest

    That's a troll, folks. Move along, now, nothing more to see.

    John Navas, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Joseph Meehan

    VH-CBR Guest

    f.cking cross posting troll ... the killfile it is for you!

    VH-CBR, Mar 6, 2004
  9. or "Does the standard of our collective photography demand even a fraction
    of the quality offered by either medium? And who is adequately qualified to
    judge in this matter? And why disguise personal inadequacies and the
    pretense that our gear affects the quality of our work? And has anyone truly
    fallen for the fake email trick after umpteen iterations?"

    Martin Francis, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Joseph Meehan

    Searching_ut Guest

    Trucks look better if using film, except of course when they look better
    with digital.

    I'm still trying to figure cars out......

    Searching_ut, Mar 7, 2004
  11. Joseph Meehan

    Giorgis Guest

    For a medium that is evolving "Digital"
    and a medium that has practically stopped "Film"
    And given you consider this the "Final" debate,
    you have already made the decision, simple maths.

    PS: Empirical indicators are better than arguments

    So that means look at sales, printed photos, professional usage.

    Effectively every market that film once was alone. How is it doing ?

    My guess, because I don't have the numbers ... not well

    Giorgis, Mar 7, 2004
  12. Joseph Meehan

    k Guest

    yup, my screwdriver is MUCH better than my soldering iron!

    k, Mar 7, 2004
  13. Joseph Meehan

    bmoag Guest

    Which is better: oil, acrylic or water colors?

    bmoag, Mar 7, 2004
  14. Joseph Meehan

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Oil of course. I mean, have you ever tried putting acrylic or water colours
    into your car?

    Nik Coughin, Mar 7, 2004
  15. Joseph Meehan

    Generic Eric Guest

    Define TROLL in this context.

    Generic Eric, Mar 7, 2004
  16. Joseph Meehan

    High Sierra Guest

    I never could figure how to take a picture with my finger, so I vote for film. :)

    High Sierra, Mar 7, 2004
  17. Joseph Meehan

    Sf Guest

    Film will always be better. Try this with a Digital Camera, Open the
    shutter four hours on end as in taking a picture of a very dark sky to photo
    stars moving, film doesn't care on how long the shutter is opened it just
    uses light over any of time to change the chemical makeup.
    Digital makes noise from electrons, film has no noise.

    film. :)

    Sf, Mar 7, 2004
  18. Joseph Meehan

    DM Guest

    So if someone else starts this debate again, we can get you?
    Please post your full name, address and phone number here to
    pass on to my friends down the back alley.

    DM, Mar 7, 2004
  19. Joseph Meehan

    steve Guest

    Each has it's advantages.

    Film lets you take cool night shots at low shutter speeds.

    Film lets you take shots into the sun without a video artifact from top to
    bottom.

    Film lets you take black and white photos.

    Digital saves you the hassle of scanning and allows for rapid duplication
    and distribution.

    Digital saves money on film.

    Digital makes it easier for you to digitially edit/distort/mess-about-with
    images.

    steve, Mar 7, 2004
  20. Joseph Meehan

    corks Guest

    good picture is a good picture wether is was taken on a kodak brownie, a
    canon d100, a nikon f1 or a fuji fp1300

    get over it

    corks, Mar 7, 2004