film SLR and digital lenses - What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. I am considering buying a SLR for my dad. I have narrowed down to two
    1. Canon EOS 300v (Rebel Ti) with 38-90mm lens
    2. Minolta Dynax 5 with 38-80mm lens

    Being a newbie, its hard for me to figure out the advantages of one
    over the other. I am not bothered much about the nuances and just want
    a camera that will produce images with better quality than a good P&S
    and give full control over the shots to my dad.

    That brings us to the issue of the lens. I have read on a lot of
    forums that the bundled lens are no good. Are they no good for pros or
    are they worse than the lens found on good P&S cameras too?

    I bought a Olympus C-750 camera. It has a 38-380 equivalent lens but
    the lens on the Olympus are much smaller than similar lens for film SLR
    cameras. Why is that?

    I also looked at a Panasonic FZ-1 with 12x stabilized lens. The camera
    costs nearly US$375 here. But a Canon 75-300 IS USM lens is US$ 429
    (on amazon). Why this difference?

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    stacey Guest

    They'd have to be pretty crappy to be worse than the P&S zooms I've seen
    examples of! He can always buy better lenses later if the bundled one isn't
    good enough for him but I'm sure it's at least as good or better than
    almost any of the P&S lenses would be.

    stacey, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    PlaneGuy Guest

    The lenses on digital P&Ss can be much smaller, because the sensor in a
    digicam is much smaller than the 35mm film. To let enough light in to expose
    that large a surface, you need a larger lens. That's the explanation, but
    now for a comment on the lenses you mentioned above.

    I won't comment on the quality of the lenses that you mentioned, but suggest
    that you could select a range that is a lot better. The 35 or 38mm on the
    long end that you mention above, will not be wide enough for group photos or
    if you want to take scenics. I would suggest that you should look for a lens
    that starts at 28mm. The difference you will notice between 28 and 35mm is
    much more different that the gap between say 90 and 100mm, probably even
    120mm.

    If you go the Canon route, I suggest looking at the Canon EF28-105 f3.5-4.5.
    It seems to be really good bang for the buck.

    PlaneGuy, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    stan Guest

    I have a Canon Digital Rebel with the standard kit lens. I
    think the lens yields fine results.

    stan, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Thanks for explaining the stuff, people.

    Sorry, I wrongly posted 38-80 and 38-90. It is 28-80 for Minolta and
    28-90 for the Canon.

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Siddhartha Jain

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The bundled lenses are better than the usual P&S lenses. If you want a snaps
    camera they will do fine and you could later add more impressive glass.
    Either the Rebel Ti or the Maxxum 5 will do fine for your stated purpose.
    Go with what you like better.
    The lens in a digital P&S is only equivalent to 38-380 - it is probably
    actually about 12-120. IN general the longer the range of a zoom the lower
    the quality.
    Image Stabilization is expensive but you get what you pay for. The quality
    of an IS lens will be well above that in an IS P&S.
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 10, 2003