Files renemed by themselves

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CAS, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. CAS

    CAS Guest

    For some reason or another some of my my files on one of my drives have been
    renamed to a weird group of characters and extra folders added to the
    original. Whenever I try to open the folder I get a cannot open this
    file/folder message. I am runnin windows 98 SE on a HP Pavilion 7915 which
    originally came with winxp. I ran Norton, the online version of Mcafee and
    avg antivirus and none found anything wrong as far as viruses. The folders
    in question have been renamed to names like this without the quotations of
    course. " Iaa#jM.ë\M"
    Any ideas as to what causes this adn how maybe to fix it so I don't have to
    reformat my hard drive.
    Here is some system info if it helps.
    Operating System
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    System Model
    HP Pavilion 04 P5266A-ABA 7915 00000TG101FRESN
    System Serial Number: MX138A2497 NA050

    Processor
    1100 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    Main Circuit Board
    Board: Trigem Computer, Inc. Pinole
    BIOS: Phoenix 3.06 08/30/01

    VERBATIM 401248AL [CD-ROM drive]

    512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Installed Microsoft Hotfixes
    DataAccess
    Q318203 on 06/29/03
    Q329414-21 on 06/29/03
    Internet Explorer
    Q313829
    Q330994
    Q818529
    Q822925
    SP1 (SP1)
    Win98.SE
    UPD238453
    UPD242975
    UPD256015
    UPD259728
    UPD269601
    UPD273017
    UPD273991
    UPDQ823559
    Win98
    UPD245729
    UPD323172
    UPD323255
    UPD329115
    UPD811630
    Windows Media Player
    WM819639
    Display
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [Display adapter]
    Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) [Display adapter]
    Default Monitor
    Plug and Play Monitor (15.7"vis, January 2000)

    Thank you for your time,
    CASmith

    CAS, Sep 8, 2003

  2. CAS

    Mr. Smiley Guest

    You wouldn't know what disk format you are and were using at the time of
    your reinstallation? Fat32, or NTFS? Go to MyComputer/rt click
    drive/properties.

    Mr. Smiley, Sep 8, 2003

  3. CAS

    CAS Guest