files on external hard drive listed under DVD-RW Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by john hamilton, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. Someone plugged an external hard drive into our modem router, so all members
    of the house could make use of it.

    When I switch on my pc now everytime i get the message, 'Files are ready to
    be written to CD'. These files are the ones that I have stored on this
    external hard drive.

    In 'my computer' under the heading; 'devices with removable storage' all the
    files in this external hard drive are under the icon: DVD-RW Drive (D:)

    Now that I wish to transfer some files from this external hard drive to a
    DVD when I put a disc into the DVD player all the files in the external hard
    drive disappear and the only thing showing recognised is the blank dvd that
    i have just put in.

    So it looks like the ext hard drive and the blank disc are competing for
    recognition.

    I'm wanting to get off my connection to this ext HDD. but is there any way
    anyone can think of to copy some of these files onto a blank DVD please?

    Thanks.

    john hamilton, Nov 8, 2010

  2. john hamilton

    Mike Easter Guest

    This network topology is not clear to me.

    Do you mean that the external hdd is a network drive such as

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=871 My Book Live
    Home Network Drive

    .... which is a wired/wireless network drive example. Some also have a
    USB port so that you can make a USB printer be in the network.

    What is the specific name and modelno of this hdd?
    Something is wrong.
    That looks like the drive is not being recognized on the network, but
    recognized as an optical drive on your computer.
    Or something.
    You forgot to mention your OS which must be XP.

    Mike Easter, Nov 8, 2010

  3. john hamilton

    richard Guest

    I believe this is a common problem with not choosing to keep the session
    open.

    If the machine supports it, what you should be using is DVD-RAM.
    The ram discs act and behave just like the old floppy discs so no session
    is required.

    richard, Nov 8, 2010