Files appearing in reverse alpabetical order in folder widows and save ans open dialog boxes. WIN98S

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nemo, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. nemo

    nemo Guest

    A few months ago, the Details view in folder windows stopped working. I just
    get a bank field with a blank grey bar along the top. A bit of a nuisance
    but not a disaster. List remained OK wich is the view I always use.

    Yesterday things got worse with files appearing in reverse order in the List
    view.

    With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others, going
    from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some folders
    nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in alphabetical
    order.

    I'm running WIN98SE on an old Dell Dimension XPS H226.

    The trouble started when I was using Photoshop 6, which struggles a bit with
    my 64M of memory but has never caused any real trouble before.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Nemo.

    nemo, Jan 19, 2004

  2. nemo

    °Mike° Guest

    It's conceivable that using Photoshop 6 on an old system,
    with only 64 MB of RAM has pharked your registry. There
    is no cure, since you said this problems is a few months
    old. If this is the case, you're looking at a reinstall.

    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Not that you don't have some deep problems, but as a temporary fix, does
    "nothing" include clicking the Name column header?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2004
  4. nemo

    nemo Guest

    In Details view, there are no column headers, just a plain grey band with no
    dividers or headings.
    Nemo

    nemo, Jan 20, 2004
  5. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Many thanks. I thought that a re-install might be the case.

    Trouble is: I'll have to back everything up on an old, temprimental CD
    burner first. Still - can't be helped.
    Nemo

    nemo, Jan 20, 2004
  6. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Just got this from Joe on
    Then clicking the top of the Name column re-orders the files and they seem
    to stay there - except in various programs' dialogue boxes, where they
    revert to reverse next time I open the program.

    Odd. There's nothing about this in the two huge books on WIN98 I've got. It
    worked though - almost.

    Might still do a re-install though as this is still a nuisance - after
    spending all day doing a backup on an ancient *2 CD-ROM burner that is!

    Nemo.

    nemo, Jan 20, 2004