File/Volume Encryption Software...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Jul 21, 2010.

  1. Anybody know of an effective file/volume Encryption Software...
    which requires a password to access the utility - that will
    work well on Windows XP Pro? And is NOT PGP? TIA.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and I am voting to confirm Kagen...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10699253

    .... because that ghay-ass court needs
    someone who can actually play softball
    if they're ever going to win the trophy!

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 21, 2010

  2. Bucky Breeder

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Jul 21, 2010

  3. Bucky Breeder

    joevan Guest

    Is Best crypt what you mean? Or do you mean a Program that will only
    let you open a certain program with a password?

    joevan, Jul 21, 2010
  4. I mean the encryption program itself requires a password to access it... or
    else *anyone* who could get onto your 'puter could start 'cryptin' and then
    forget what they did, how they did it, etc... So I'd like to install a
    encryption utility, that once it's installed, I password protect itself
    from access within the GUI install/initial-use interface, then nobody can
    launch the utility and goto "whoopee-'cryptin'" stuff and -- then fly outta
    here, and get lost or held-over incognigto, or have amnesia such that I
    cannot even beat it out of them or refer them to rendition where they can
    be waterboarded for the information... or something like that.

    TIA.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and I am NOT voting to confirm Kagen...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10699253

    .... because that ghay-ass court needs
    someone who can actually be a justice, not
    play softball and golf like they're ever
    going to win the cheesy trophy anyways!

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 21, 2010
  5. Thanks for that... The problem with EFS on WinXP-Pro[SP3] is that you
    cannot move the files around from NTFS <-> FAT32, and most of my data is
    stored on FAT32 partitions and/or external drives. FAT32, ostensibly to
    save the overhead of MTFS files when all I'm doing is storing data... as
    the HDDs get larger, I may well have to re-think that stategy... But thank
    you for the link.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    "... refutiate..." -- Sarah Palin. WTF? GW Bush III?

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 21, 2010
  7. Bucky Breeder

    Jordon Guest

    You can password protect volume access with TC.

    Jordon, Jul 21, 2010
  8. Hypodermically speeking, once TC is installed on teh XP-Pro'er,
    *anyone* who gets to my keyboard can navigate to TC-launch-off
    and start to encryptin' stuff with the easy to follow dialog?

    Thanks.

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 22, 2010
  9. Hmmm... extreme, perhaps; but, *plant* *evidence* that I
    cannot access or delete; then, blackmail me to marry them?

    It's the ones who'd you never expect to do that which you
    have to watch out for... and they *think* they're doing
    me a favor. If I wanted a "trophy-wife," I'd just get me
    one when she was done divorcing Mel Gibson. <woot>

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 22, 2010
  10. Bucky Breeder

    Jordon Guest

    What keeps you from deleting an encrypted, PW protected volume?

    Jordon, Jul 22, 2010
  11. Yeah, exactly. Or deleting all the hidden files? Most of the
    encryption utility roll-outs have the "Hide" feature as well.

    These wanna-be trophy-wife-candidates can be tricky...
    Stitch... time... saves nine... -- pig... ear... silk-purse...
    Pot... kettle... krakwhore -- Spider... porridge... free lunch...
    (If you're British, that'd be "free tea & crumpets";
    if you're Canadian, that'd be "WTF? No MAYONNAISE?")

    Like when the ancient Greeks said "Hey, let's write some
    mythology to really screw with the future capitalist-pigs'
    heads : you just can't be too careful with your stuff these
    days. You can lead a Trojan-horse to the beach; but you can't
    make him wear a Speedo and surf in the oil slicks. <woot>

    Maybe I could just munge the start menu icon.

    HTH.

    [I don't think PETA does Ancient Greeks; but just in case,
    please use discretion repeating any of this because if they
    find out, they may stalk me -- or blog badly about me.
    They so ruthless! TIA.]

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 22, 2010