    from Computers B or C to Computer A. An error message sayes that I may not
    have permissions to access Computer A from Computer B or C. I dont understand
    why I can go one way but not the other. What am I doing wrong.

    Guest, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of
    users' home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can
    share folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply
    use the Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Guest

    David Hettel Guest

    These are some of the things you want to check.

    Do you sign into computers B and C using a username and password?
    Do the above user names and passwords exist on computer A, (do you see them
    as options when you start up computer A)?

    On computer A if you click on file sharing at the folder you are attempting
    to share, then Permissions are user names listed for Computer B and C?
    If you click on the Security (tab) are user names for computer B and C
    listed?

    If the above are all configured then most likely it is a firewall problem
    somewhere. Are you running more than XP built in firewall?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com