    settings that my friend should alter so that the full resolution can be
    achieved? Thanks very much for your help.

    Regards, Fred

    BJTR, Jan 24, 2005

  2. BJTR

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Fred...

    I suspect that you'll find that there's no real answer for
    how big the jpg sizes are. Each picture will be
    different.

    To demonstrate, have your friend try an experiment.
    Take a picture of the sky, or perhaps a blank featureless
    indoor wall. Look at the jpg file size. Take another
    picture that is very "busy" - lots of colors, lots of
    detail - maybe flowers or kids with brightly colored
    patterned outfits on - and check that file size.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 24, 2005

  3. BJTR

    Ed Ruf Guest

    That's been my experience.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Jan 24, 2005
  4. BJTR

    Harvey Guest

    Ken is there a standard test that is done to measure jpg compression?+

    Harvey, Jan 24, 2005
  5. BJTR

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Harvey...

    I have a tool here called jpeg quality that measures
    the level of compression in a jpeg.

    I got it from mediachance (www.mediachance.com); but I just
    checked quickly and it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

    It was freeware; I have a copy here, and I'll be glad to
    email it to you if you like. Send me an email; I'll reply.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 24, 2005
  6. BJTR

    Carlos Guest

    My cp 5700 picture size usually falls between 1.5 - 2.8 mb in fine mode. It
    really depends on the complexity or how busy the picture.is.
    Regards
    Carlos http://www.pbase.com/zallakab1

    Carlos, Jan 24, 2005
  7. BJTR

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Sorry, brain fade at work on this original reply. 1.2MB was around normal
    for my 990. 1.6-1.8MB is about what I got with my 5700. It will depend on
    the settings for sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 24, 2005
  8. BJTR

    BJTR Guest

    Thanks very much for these replies. For my 5 megapixel Sony camera, the last
    36 photos have taken up 71mb, giving an average size per photo of about 2Mb.
    My Sony 3 megapixel camera averaged about 1.3 MB per photo, which is what
    the Nikon 5700 5 megapixel camera averages, so perhaps Nikon cameras have a
    different jpeg compression system to that used by Sony? However, I have
    found that, when doing A3-sized enlargements from Nikon's 1.3mb images, they
    make the grade reasonably well, particularly after sharpening the image with
    Photoshop. However, I get better A3 enlargements from my 5 megapixel Sony
    camera. I find the Photoshop sharpen function to be very valuable and it
    doesn't seem to cause the picture quality to deteriorate. Is this your
    experience also?

    Regards, Fred

    BJTR, Jan 25, 2005
  9. BJTR

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Of course. Every manufacturer uses differing amounts of compression in
    their settings.

    However, I have
    I got pretty good 8x10" from my 990, so yes the 5700 is better. It would
    help to know what settings you are using for the in camera processing
    settings. IMO, for best results set all of these to none, ie sharpening,
    contrast, brightness, etc. In fact there was a movement by some 5700 users
    to set lower than standard saturation. Of course all the above means one
    them does have to process every image you want. For best work of course,
    raw is the best. Unfortunately, Nikon never offered a firmware upgrade that
    addressed the issue of the lack of speed of saving these. Expect 20-22 sec,
    no matter how fast a card is in the camera.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 25, 2005