    random characters, unformatted and gibberish. I'm disappointed.

    I don't understand, isn't the
    file recovery software meant to recover the lost data?

    kilroybass, Nov 16, 2005

  2. kilroybass

    DiXiE Guest

    Testing

    Sorry this isn't any help, just a Test

    DiXiE, Nov 16, 2005

  3. kilroybass

    James Guest

    Generally file recovery is meant to be used on the hard drive BEFORE *ANY*
    disk activity takes place. Your re-installing windows onto the disk really
    messes up what the program can find and how it finds it.

    James, Nov 16, 2005
  4. kilroybass

    Mitch Guest

    File recovery software recovers what is at the location it finds for
    the file you are looking for. That doesn't necessarily mean a complete
    file, nor an unaffected one.

    A different program might be able to do better, but it's quite possible
    that what you got is all you'll ever get.

    Keep in mind that any change you make on that drive in the meantime
    (downloading, the new install, the running of the machine every moment)
    increases the chance that the file will be written over and lost.
    If you were able, the only thing to do once you realized that you
    needed to recover a file was to prevent that drive from being used at
    all, and run from another drive.
    Every single thing it does is writing over an old file; you can't know
    when it will hit the one you want.

    Mitch, Nov 16, 2005
  5. kilroybass

    Dan Evans Guest

    It will recover the data that it finds in a sector, and put it in a file
    with other data it finds that it beleives to be from the same original file.
    Unfortuantely, sometimes the file contents are corrupted/overwritten etc.
    It's a drag and something I've seen more times than I care to think about,
    but it's a fact. Once data is lost (rather than deleted, "oh shit"ted, and
    recovered immediately) there is a more than negligable chance that it is
    indeed lost - especially when there has been activity on the volume. Like an
    OS reinstall for example.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 17, 2005
  6. kilroybass

    coal_brona Guest

    Hi,

    Among data recovery tools the most powerful is IMHO [email protected] undelete.
    It worked great for me and never failed before. It alos never corrupted
    restored files, cause it's restoration methods are really great. Give
    it a try.

    http://www.active-undelete.com/

    coal_brona, Nov 17, 2005