    Had problems trying to copy some data files to a Tablet

    XP Max file length is 255

    Win 7 is 260

    Frank Williams, Dec 4, 2013

  2. Frank Williams

    JohnO Guest

    How peculiar.

    Note that this limit is the whole pathname, not just the file name.

    JohnO, Dec 5, 2013

  3. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    Allowable filename lengths have been getting longer with almost every
    operating system release. In the old days you were only allowed eight
    characters, plus the three character filename extension which told
    Windows / DOS what type of file it was.

    Going from XP to Win7 should not be a problem. Going the other way
    might be. Going from Windows to a tablet may also be a problem, unless
    it's a Windows tablet.

    The same happens on Macs too. If I try to take a long filename from a
    newer version of Mac OS and use it on an old version (with a 32
    character limit), then the application trying to open the file may
    display a "file not found" error until I shorten the name.

    Your Name, Dec 5, 2013
  4. Almost every being right. IIRC, Prodos had a 256 character limit way back
    in the 80s ? Ran on the apple //gs I think ?

    Nope (see above :) ).

    Yeessss. Not a good idea then ... and still not a good idea. A real OS would
    look at the *file* to decide what it is. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 5, 2013
  5. Frank Williams

    Titus G Guest

    Titus G, Dec 5, 2013
  6. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    He was talking about Windows, so I went back to the PC-DOS days.

    We already knew that Windoze / PC-DOS was garbage and there were and
    are much better operating systems around.

    Technically that's what Mac OS did, before Apple stupidly decided to
    switch to a Unix variant. Mac OS X now uses the filename extensions
    just like Windoze (and just like Windoze there's an option to hide the
    extensions fomr the user). :-(

    Your Name, Dec 5, 2013
  7. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    Your Name, Dec 5, 2013
  8. Frank Williams

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Same limit in both

    255 for the file name alone,
    for example: "Journey to the West.epub"

    260 for the full path.
    for example: "C:\Tablet\Reader\Journey to the West.epub"

    ....and...

    32767 for the full path, in those Unicode applications which are
    programmed to use the right Windows API calls,
    for example: "\\?\C:\Tablet\Reader\Journey to the West.epub"

    REF: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx#maxpath

    Ralph Fox, Dec 6, 2013
  9. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    32K-1 Heck one could write a story story in that length. From Microsoft, what is was or is.

    Gordon, Dec 7, 2013
  10. Frank Williams

    Ralph Fox Guest

    I suspect MS may not have all its ducks in a row for this.
    Windows BSODs on me when, in Explorer, I expand each of the
    folders in a path of length 640.

    Ralph Fox, Dec 7, 2013
  11. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    Some people actually have "written" choose-your-path style adventure
    stories using folder hierarchies. :)

    Your Name, Dec 7, 2013

  12. I was trying to copy Android files to a Tablet and got a file warning
    that the file is corrupt or to long using XP, also tried to a Hard
    Drive and a USB stick.

    But funny thing that it worked OK using WIN 7

    My searches on the net indicated that there was a difference in name
    length..

    As they say the proof in the pudding is in the eating..

    Frank Williams, Dec 7, 2013
  13. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Is that like having a fixed size pagefile and hiding your porn collection
    within it? ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Dec 7, 2013
  14. Oh ... an unwritten assumption. I see. OK.

    A unix variant would look at the file (I think ... linuxes do). It probably
    still does if you haven't assigned extensions to be opened by particular
    programs. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 8, 2013
  15. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    Windows 7 is smart enough to use the old 8.3 path names when traversing
    a structure with folder names longer than that inorder to get around the
    limit to a degree.

    When sorting out my music collection I have often resorted to renaming
    parent directorys to single letters inorder to shorten it enough to get
    things in the right place and then renaming them all back to as they
    were before. Stuff still is able to open the files and read and write
    them from within those folders so I dont really know why windows
    explorer bothers to enforce something that in reality doesnt matter to
    any application at all.

    Richard, Dec 11, 2013