File Management nef files and Adobe CS File Browser

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dave, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    I was hoping to get some feedback on file management work flow. Here is
    what I am doing to manage digital files -- question to follow.

    1. I begin by creating a basic folder say "my vacation". I then make
    three subfolders (nef, jpg, psd).
    Utilizing the nef subfolder to house the masters.

    2. I import nef files from the camera using NX Capture to the nef
    folder and then in CS browser I batch rename the files.

    3. I import back into NX the nef files to be exported as jpegs with a
    suffix "nefcopy" to the jpg subfolder. Utilizing these files to assign
    keywords and for fast searches or browsing of thumbnails.

    4. Obviously the psd subfolder is where images that are manipulated are
    storied and readied for printing etc..

    Question:
    I am to up to speed on xmp, DNG or sidecars so my question is if I
    utilize the jpegs for keywords etc what is the best way to "link" the
    jpeg to the master file. It appears you cannot assign things like
    keywords to nef files. Also it is my uderstanding that ranking photos
    in CS file browser creates a cache for this information which not only
    takes up space but can be inadvertantly purged so am I on the right
    track to "grade" the photos with keywords so that the information will
    always stay with the file.

    dave, Nov 27, 2006

  2. dave

    JC Dill Guest

    I highly suggest you take a look at the DAM (Digital Asset Management)
    book. Even if you don't decide to go with his solution (which pairs
    Photoshop CS with iView Pro), his ideas on workflow, keywording,
    library management, etc. are well worth studying.

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 29, 2006

  3. dave

    ruppies Guest