    could be tracked to commands run in the command prompt.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 7, 2013

  2. You can. :)

    I've always liked command line, as you can do things there easily that you
    can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 13, 2013

  3. Well, I haven't administrated Windows for ages, but that seems over the
    top to me. I browsed around a bit, but didn't find anything about *why*
    it is a good idea to disable it. At one time the argument was that the
    user could disable virus protection, but I don't believe that that is
    necessary these days.

    Why is it considered good practise? Wouldn't it stop scripts running at
    boot and login time?[/QUOTE]

    I make no comment about whether a particular practise is considered good or
    not. :) :)

    Scripts can run ... I assume with admin priviledges (or perhaps before
    access is turned off ?).

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 13, 2013
  4. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ....and it has 'ls', 'man', 'grep' and a host of other useful commands!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 13, 2013
  5. Thanks. Will investigate. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 14, 2013
  6. ... then even better. :)

    Thanks

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 14, 2013
  7. I can PowerDesk 9 the thing they left out of Windows, so no crappy
    command line, I can pint/save the full file name and also the full path
    directory, has a great search tool etc etc.

    http://www.avanquest.com/USA/software/powerdesk-pro-9-500373

    I got my copy on special from BitsDuJours a one day special $39.16nz,
    been using it for many years so decided to get as real copy, I think it
    goes back to WIN 98 or even before.

    Frank Williams, Aug 14, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    It's undoubtedly the best thing to come out of Microsoft for some time.
    Who did they steal it from?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 14, 2013
  9. ... could have been a cock up ? Do the developers still work for MS ? :) :)

    My favourite quote related to MS ...

    The day MS produces a product that does not suck will be the day they start
    making vacuum cleaners. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 20, 2013

  10. This will kill most copy rename APPs

    Total Commander

    http://www.ghisler.com/

    Frank Williams, Aug 20, 2013