File cannot be deleted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. Start the computer to the command prompt, then try running chkdsk /f.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Did you try changing the name to a short name?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Out of curiosity, did you try my suggestion?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 6, 2006
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Ragz Guest

    Goto start/run and paste this command in ( RegSvr32 /u shmedia.dll)
    "Without the brackets"

    This will disable thumbnails and AVI movie files in Explorer. You can undo
    it after by going back into run and pasting this command ( RegSvr32
    shmedia.dll)

    .........Ragz

    Ragz, Jul 6, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Fred Guest

    Try using the short file name directory switch at a command prompt and
    delete the file using the short name dispalyed
    The short name dir switch is
    dir /x

    Fred, Jul 6, 2006
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    ProfGene Guest

    Have you tried dragging it over to the recycle bin? You might also try
    renaming it to a shorter name.

    ProfGene, Jul 24, 2006
  8. try to change the name then delete it . first the file name then the
    extension of the file

    Maurice Byrne, Jul 25, 2006
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    fkasner Guest

    If you can rename it almost certainly can delete it.
    I had a somewhat similar problem. I tried many different suggestions and
    remedies. None worked. Then I discovered what was keeping the darn thing
    alive. It was the nature of the folder. I had to be changed so it could
    be deleted. If the folder cannot be deleted sometimes the file cannot be
    deleted.
    FK

    fkasner, Jul 25, 2006
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=