    Nightfox
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.102
    * Digital Distortion - Beaverton, Oregon, USA - telnet://digitaldistortionbbs.com

    Nightfox, Nov 17, 2013

  2. Nightfox

    Paul Guest

    If developers used IEC notation when appropriate, this
    would all be rigorously reported. As it is, you have
    to use your "math fu" to figure out what units
    they might actually be using.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

    In other words:

    Use GB when you mean 1000**3
    Use GiB when you mean 1024**3

    Screen printouts must use the right labels, for all the
    numbers to add up.

    And some of this was tied up in truth-in-advertising
    court cases. Screwing around, cost them money.

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/06/28/western-digital-settles-hard-drive-capacity-lawsuit/

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 17, 2013