    I'm still amazed that this stuff works. Even with ADSL MAX (8meg max)
    it's like a tiny box similar in size to a paperback book having 256 am
    radio receivers all running at the same time.

    Rodney Pont, Apr 5, 2015

  2. ash burton

    Ash Burton Guest

    I don't think the fibre speed estimate is a mistake (i am getting
    similar figures from different ISP's including BT) which is why i am
    trying to understand how it could be less than i am getting with ADSL.

    Ash Burton, Apr 5, 2015

  3. ash burton

    Ash Burton Guest

    Yes, i think you may have the explanation in that.

    That being so i think i will wait until the fibre speed estimate
    improves (if it ever does).

    Ash

    Ash Burton, Apr 5, 2015
  4. ash burton

    Woody Guest

    Interesting thread.

    Boy does it make me glad I have cable - VM or not!

    Woody, Apr 5, 2015
  5. ash burton

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Don't all of the other ISP's get their estimates from BT anyway?

    Rodney Pont, Apr 5, 2015
  6. ash burton

    Kraftee Guest

    Primary Connection Point, basic knowledge if you know your subject.

    Kraftee, Apr 5, 2015
  7. ash burton

    Roger Mills Guest

    Maybe - if you earn your living at it. I've been frequenting this NG for
    a number of years, and hadn't (consciously) come across that particular
    abbreviation before. [Google was definitely *not* my friend in this
    instance.]
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 5, 2015
  8. ash burton

    Kraftee Guest

    Funny that...it has come up a few times in this thread alone

    Kraftee, Apr 5, 2015
  9. ash burton

    critcher Guest

    What ever they say about you, I have had my email address with BT, Sky
    etc for about 18 months waiting for my local cabinet to go live.Today I
    decided to use the above and checked my cab, lo and behold I can now get
    fibre.No one got in touch to offer me fibre, they must be making too
    much money.

    critcher, Apr 5, 2015
  10. ash burton

    Phil W Lee Guest

    In theory, you could add a cabinet at some point in the existing cable
    running from old cabinet to premises, probably at some existing
    junction box. That might be worthwhile where a lot of premises are in
    a cluster some distance from the cabinet, and the point at which they
    join other lines back to the cabinet already has some jointing
    involved, and therefore a mini-cabinet of grond chamber where the
    cable for that cluster of premises is split off from the rest.

    Of course, that is heading in the V.Fast direction of having a
    mini-DSLAM in (or on, for poles) every distribution point.
    Somehow, you have to power it though - ideally in some way which
    doesn't provide copper for the scrotes to nick.

    I wonder what the actual power requirements are for such a small
    mini-DSLAM? I wonder about the prospect of using PoE from the nearest
    premises, in return for a discount on (or free) service.
    Feasible?

    Phil W Lee, Apr 5, 2015
  11. ash burton

    Phil W Lee Guest

    An ex-phone box is a good sign, as they all had power (even if the
    light in them was often broken).
    They also tend to be sited on or very close to the larger cables in
    the area (as in, those carrying lots of pairs), so would make a very
    good site for a new cabinet.

    Phil W Lee, Apr 5, 2015
  12. ash burton

    Phil W Lee Guest

    It only means they are all using the same data (from Openreach).
    Which is exactly what I would expect.
    The question is whether that data is accurate, and given the speed and
    attenuation figures you have on ADSL, that seems unlikely.
    From what others have experienced, even if the cabinet were right next
    to the exchange, and therefore the cable run virtually unchanged,
    those figures should still indicate a line which would carry VDSL
    faster than ADSL - and of course in reality, the cabinet is NOT going
    to be as far as the exchange, so those figures should only be
    improved.
    The trouble is that there is no way to find out for certain if the
    figure is accurate without you or a close neighbour getting FTTC/VDSL
    installed, and seeing what you actually get.
    There does not seem to be any mechanism for the figures in the
    Openreach database, used by ALL prospective ISPs, to be challenged or
    corrected, although I've certainly come across cases where they are so
    pessimistic as to be downright misleading, and just plain wrong.

    Phil W Lee, Apr 5, 2015
  13. ash burton

    Bob Eager Guest

    And even that may not work. My neighbour (next in an isolated terrace of
    three) is on a different cabinet to me and gets a much higher speed!

    Bob Eager, Apr 5, 2015
  14. ash burton

    Andy Burns Guest

    They'll all use the same data, so give the same (wrong) estimate ...

    Andy Burns, Apr 5, 2015
  15. ash burton

    Kraftee Guest

    The site may say you can get fibre, unfortunately this is not always true.

    The telling sign is when they actually start taking orders from people
    (remembering of course that your neighbour maybe able to get it but you
    can't or vice versa)

    Kraftee, Apr 7, 2015
  16. ash burton

    Martin Brown Guest

    Interesting. In what circumstances does it get it wrong?

    I have always found this one to be accurate even in perverse cases.
    (speed is typically an underestimate)

    http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

    We have a pretty interesting borderline case in out village. The farmer
    who lives opposite the brand new FTTC cabinet cannot get superfast
    because he is on the wrong side of the road and takes a feed from an EO
    line that runs on that side! The checker gets this right.

    I didn't believe it at first. BT will generously supply him with
    superfast if he pays for the road closure, excavation and new cable.
    (talking arm, leg and other bits of anatomy prices here)
    They seem to take orders for things that cannot be delivered anyway.

    Martin Brown, Apr 7, 2015
  17. ash burton

    Kraftee Guest

    The invitations are sent out using a Post Code data base, unfortunately (or
    could that be fortunately, for some) exchange areas don't relate to those.
    You've got it. I was offered fibre around 12 months before I could get it.

    Kraftee, Apr 8, 2015
  18. ash burton

    Davey Guest

    Long before fibre was anywhere near me, I kept on receiving offers for
    it. Now that we have cabinets, but no service yet, the offers have
    stopped. The checker gives Sep. 2015 as the theoretical date., but I'm
    not banking on it.

    Davey, Apr 8, 2015
  19. ash burton

    Kraftee Guest

    You may be lucky as there is a lot more priority being put behind the FTTC
    roll out now, so you never know.

    Kraftee, Apr 9, 2015
  20. ash burton

    Davey Guest

    I remain, even without any good reason, optimistic.

    There was somebody who recently publicly said that everybody, even
    those who don't want to use a computer, needed to use the internet for
    everyday things, even if they didn't want to. But as somebody else
    replied, "She should come up to north Northumberland and try saying
    that, at least with our faster carrier pigeon system, we can eat the
    pigeon after receiving the message".
    East Anglia is not much better, I am only on ADSL Max, but I can drive
    to Bury St. Edmunds in 30 minutes, and Norwich in 45.

    Davey, Apr 9, 2015